Chapter 5: Third Wheel

Luckily, I was able to avoid Oscar over the next couple of days. It helped me to focus on my class work and voice. He'd been working more laste nights than normal, so my mom had been reporting to him my voice practices- complete with length of time and number of songs rehearsed. I didn't have a lesson again until the next week, so it wasn't that hard to avoid him...even if I hadn't been trying.

Madds was an incredible chatter box. She was completed excited about the dance tonight. She had gotten up the nerve to ask Randy to be her date. He had accepted and she was anxious to tell me the story. She was almost skipping through the halls at school. I knew Randy would say yes. There hadn't been a doubt in my mind. He doesn't have the ability to say "no" and I do think that he is attracted to Madds. She's more "his type."

I was still dateless. I didn't expect things to be any other way. I was dateless most of the time. I don't know why. I'm not exactly unattractive, but I don't think I'm the biggest head turner at our institution either. Maybe it was just because I was a choir geek. I always had been, and I always will be. My mom used to tell me I was intimidating. The reason guys didn't ask me out was because I scared them. I never believed her... its just her job to say that. Its bologna.

I was evaluating myself in the mirror as I put on my makeup. My deep blues eyes stared back at me as I lined them with a mahogany eye liner. The mahogany made the blue in my eyes stand out more. It made them look vivid instead of dead. I dabbed a little rose color on my cheeks, giving me a slight "blushing" appearance. I smiled just a bit when I applied to rogue. I chose a deep, wine colored stain for my lips, delicately dragging the color to outline my lips before filling in the empty space.

A little more shadow...

I added a little more smokey-blue eyeshadow on my eye lids to make a sophisticated look. The make-up scheme accented my hair perfectly, as I had taken the time tonight to straighten my tresses. Usually, they were a big glob of uncontrollable waves, but tonight they were tame and full of body. I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling it as it brushed my shoulders.

Maybe if I toss it this way...

I tossed my hair from side to side, trying to figure out which I way I liked it best.

Ugh.

I liked it better when I had left it alone...

I shook my hair, letting it fall where ever it wanted. It was always pointless to try to make my hair do something. It had a vengeance out for me.

I walked over to my closet to get my little black dress I had reserved for a special occasion, figuring this was as special as I was going to get. I stopped to observe my body in the mirror.

I'm not that bad, am I?

I mean, I'm not as skinny as some of the girls at school, but I'm not too heavy.

Just a little belly.

My legs are little heavier than I would like them, but the rest of me isn't too terrible.

I have a decent shape and nice feminine features... so why am I going to this dance alone?

Oh yeah...

Because according to my mother, boys are afraid of me...

Whatever.

I pulled my dress out of the closet, gingerly stepped in, and pulled the dress into place. I twisted my arms around my back, gripping part of the fabric with one hand and pulling up the zipper at an awkward angle with the other. I looked in the mirror again, and smiled.