Chapter 22: Betrayal

Chapter 22

Betrayal

Why am I going to send the day with a Porphyriac

What am I thinking?

 I'm thinking I can't practice by myself anymore.

I think I'm losing my touch.

Shanta has been too busy to help me, so I've been practicing mostly on my own.

 Maybe working with Conrad will help me bring some new flavor into my performance.

I tried to tell myself this afternoon would be all about business. If I were to be honest with myself, I would be able to admit that I'd just lost my only friends, my boyfriend was too busy to see me, and I was extremely lonely. I wasn't going to admit this to myself, so I made myself believe the afternoon was necessary.

Messy hadn't quit grumbling since I told him about my night and plans today. He had growled about my walk home with Conrad, though not as bad as he growled about my dates with Bartholomew.

My overprotective dog...

I thought as I listened to his huffs and puffs while I gathered my things.

I drove to Conrad's still pondering my sanity. Faces flashed through my head- Madds's, Randy's, Vin's... they wouldn't stop. I knew my face looked like I'd just bitten a lemon. I could feel a cramp starting to take root in my jawbone. Conrad had sent me a text this morning with directions to his place. I still hadn't heard from Bartholomew...

Though this isn't abnormal.

He rarely calls in any respect of a decent time.

 Just be patient.

 He'll call.

I told myself.

Conrad opened the door with a look of relief. I wasn't sure whether it was his look or the situation that had my stomach in knots.

Probably both.

I admitted to myself. My hands were shaking as he let me in, pointing out things like his piano, guitar, and various assortments of brass and stringed instruments. He showed me the bathroom, 'just so I would know.' Then waved in the general direction of his bedroom. I nodded a lot, but kept my mouth shut. I wasn't sure I could keep breakfast down if I opened it. I locked my lips in place.

He seemed to notice my tenseness. "Delilah, are you okay?"

I nodded, lips still locked. I must've nodded a little too much.

"I said I wasn't going to do anything. You're far more intriguing than appetizing." He smirked, and I glared. "Look." He held out his hands.

They're not shaking... yet.

I nodded a little slower.

"Relax. Come here." He grabbed my elbow. My hands were firmly gripped around my sheets of music.

"See this?" He said, opening a small cabinet next to the piano.

I blanched. There were rows and rows of glass bottles filled with a thick red liquid.

Blood... is draining from head.

I need to sit down.

Now.

I felt around beside me a solid place to fall.

There.

My fingers found the piano bench. I could feel his unnaturally cold grip easing me down.