Chapter 10: Passage

Messy was whining when I got up to my room.

"What's wrong boy?"

He pointed his nose to the window and whimpered.

"You haven't been outside?"

"Bark!"

"Okay." I spun on the heel of my foot to walk him downstairs. Oscar wasn't home so I wasn't concerned.

That's odd.

Messy seems on edge.

I thought as I watched him roam around the back yard. He kept sniffing and snorting at the ground.

"Mess, come on! Its late!" I urged.

He jerked his head up to look at me, his nose twitching. He scanned the yard again and gave in.

I sat in my room, awake for over half of the night.

Passage is tomorrow.

The thought kept running through my head. I propped myself up against the wall and my bed, shoving pillows behind me so my back wouldn't hurt. I wasn't cold, but I kept the blankets pulled up to my chest. I stared at Messy, sleeping peacefully at the foot of my bed. I envied his life.

So easy.

Having everyone wait on you... feed you, brush you, bathe you...

Ugh.

Actually, I wouldn't want that.

I had twisted the sheets around my fingers. Only the sting in the alerted me I had hurt them. The distraction kept the butterflies down momentarily. I fell asleep against the wall. It was a short night.

I woke to a gentle knocking at my door.

"Delilah, honey, can I come in?"

"Yeah, Mom." I said groggily, stretching my neck.

She entered my room with a small, brightly wrapped package in her hands. She sat next to me on the bed and handed me the package. It was wrapped in a paper of various shades of pink- my favorite color. I smiled sheepishly at her.

"Mom..."

"Here. I just wanted you to know how proud I am of you."

I took the package and pulled at the multi-toned pink ribbons. I slid my finger under the paper, watching as the paper fell off easily. The box was grey, leather wrapped and rectangular. I pulled the top, the hinges tight from no use. Inside lay perfectly round, off white pearls. Earrings and a necklace.

"Wow. Thank you." My eyes never left the pearls. I'd never received such a beautiful gift.

"You are welcome. Every woman needs a set of pearls. Pearls are delicate and stunning, just like you. You're going to do great things with your life. I'm so very proud of you."

I leaned over and hugged her with all of my strength. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, sweetheart. I always have, and I always will." She stood up and crossed the room to the door. "Now hurry, or you'll be late." She left with a sniffle.

I looked at the clock, took a deep breath, and crawled out of bed.

I arrived at the academy five minutes earlier than necessary.

"Delilah, can you help with the risers?" Mr. Crosten called as he carried a bulky bunch of cables across the hall.

"Sure." I kicked off my shoes and walked to the storage room where the performance equipment was kept. Four other students were in there preparing to grab risers as well.