Chapter 2 - First day

I walked briskly through the gates and made my way to the entrance hall. I hardly even paid any attention to the lecture as I was far more focused on my schedule. My first period was something that was taught at all education systems, no matter whether or not they were ascender schools, military schools, or general education schools.

It was the most boring class of all...Alacryan History. Despite being labeled as a history class, even a hairy baboon could tell that it was more like a Vritra propaganda class.

Although, my second period seemed like it would be a lot more enjoyable. Since we weren't at the upper academy, we weren't allowed to pick our schedules, thus we were forced to take predisposed classes, determined by the type of mage we were.

Only 4 classes were allowed for students of different affinities to intermingle, which I assumed was to help mitigate the social divide that was ever-present.

The classes in which we were allowed to attend together were Alacryan History, Magic Theory, Formations, and Lunch. Although, lunch was typically segregated between mage types anyways.

Formations class was going to end up being the most interesting class at times, but easily one of the most boring at other times.

During formations class, each striker, caster, and shield were designated to teams, and sentries rotated between them at random.

When we were simply going over formations, the class was as boring as watching paint dry, but when you got to test out the practicality of your formations, that was the fun part...at least at my last school.

Even better, the entire second semester would be spent with your designated group, going over the same formation in preparation for our yearly trip to a specially designed zone in the relictombs. These areas were generally mapped out, and I heard we'd be given instructions as to how the zone would operate a few months in advance so we could make proper preparations.

Every 3-man group would be paired with another, along with a professor.

So far, there had never been any deaths during these so-called, 'preliminary' ascents, but they could hardly even be called that.

To be honest, they weren't even at the level of normal prelims, so as to preserve the safety of the children.

Despite this, it was still an honor to embark on a journey like that at this young of an age, and with a professor traveling with the groups, what could even go wrong?

As the excited cheers of everyone in the entrance ceremony began to die down, I finally made my way to my first class of the day. But I didn't actually end up paying much attention to what was going on.

Regardless of the fact that this was my last year of secondary school, I was already afflicted with senioritis, so I couldn't even bother to pay attention to most of my classes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quickly jumped out of the way to avoid colliding with another student as I was distractedly looking at my class schedule.

Alacryan History

Casting Theory

Formations

Lunch

Practical Casting

Mana Theory

'Casting theory was just as boring as Alacryan history,' I thought with a groan, dodging yet another student in the hallway.

In all honesty, I wasn't even a caster anyways, but my father had instructed me to play it off as if I was using a water-based crest. I was able to get people to believe me by describing it as vaguely as possible.