Chapter 12 - Confrontation

2 Years Later

Aquamarine Aurelius Pov

"...that's it, just like that!" I shouted in excitement as I watched my sister manipulate water for the first time.

Cordelia grinned a goofy smile as the water heeded her command, flowing around her in a dazzling display.

After only 20 seconds, the water around her began to waver, and she was no longer able to keep it up, but I assured her this was normal.

After 'awakening' just 6 months ago at the age of 8, Cordelia was disappointed with her advancements in elemental magic. Although it was disingenuous to say that she awakened since all Alacryan's are born with mana cores. Because the seal our mother placed on both of us was so potent, we weren't able to funnel mana through our cores until we were both around the age of 9.

Only a few weeks after her awakening, around her 9th birthday, she was able to form water around her fist, but it had taken much longer to be able to control it outside of augmentation.

Compared to my more well-rounded style of fighting, Cordelia was geared much more like a striker. In fact, I deemed that she would easily pass as one once she attended academy, although, due to our circumstances, I wasn't actually sure if she'd ever be able to go to one.

I stifled a laugh as Callisto, her bond, tackled her to the ground and began to lick her defenseless face as she tried and failed to fight him off. Callisto, who was now a full-grown wolf-dog thing, wagged his tail in excitement, influenced by his bond's emotions as he continued his assault.

Just last month, my sister had actually activated the first phase of her beastwill, which I figured would actually end up being fairly impressive...eventually.

While the first phase only allowed her to adopt the elegant-looking animal's senses, at some point...I wasn't sure when, but Callisto had gained an ability that I just wasn't able to figure out until my sister replicated the same thing.

Callisto's powers seemed to be based on the moon, however that worked, but he would occasionally activate some sort of ability that caused both of his teal eyes to radiate in a luminescent glow, making them look practically ethereal in the right conditions.

When Cordelia replicated this ability for the first time, she described this—lunar vision—as an out-of-body experience. One where she was fully aware of all of her surroundings within a certain radius. She explained it like a bird's eye view, but her body would react to anything she did automatically, allowing her to basically see everything around her, without her hand-eye coordination suffering.

I found myself wondering on multiple occasions what her second phase would end up looking like. But I knew that Cordelia definitely wouldn't be ready for a little while. Callisto on the other hand had grown quite significantly in the last 2 years, easily passing his bond in power, although he couldn't hold a candle to me.

Callisto, who had all the physical abilities of a normal mana-enhanced wolf, was able to manipulate a glowing blue halo around his body that could collect energy and output its force as a field or a single powerful blast, but that was the extent of its abilities so far. I suspected that wasn't all there was to his skill set, but who knows.

I had figured out by now that his glowing ring, that usually sat idly floating on top of his head, was powered by moonlight, but I had no idea how this was possible. Regardless, the black wolfdog was a formidable creature, who was perfect for protecting my precious little sister.

Along with my sister and her bond, I had also gained a few powerups as well. During the past two years of diving into the relictombs over and over, I had of course gained more control over the element of water, and I was now able to consciously control my scale-like armor, although I still couldn't constantly maintain it during fights, meaning I had to react to an attack for them to form.