Chapter 11 - Madness

Aquamarine Aurelius Pov

I let out a long sigh in response to her words.

I had figured I would have to explain myself soon enough. I wanted to hold back as much as possible in order to not raise too much suspicion from Cordelia, but I quickly realized that the beasts in the relictombs wouldn't be so easy to deal with. Not only had she seen me fighting underwater, moving at speeds no human could be capable of, but she'd also seen the deft and control I had over the water above land, along with my magic trident that could call lightning bolts from the sky.

I really had no choice...

"Lia, how much do you know about the Vritra?"

"Hmm, I know that they are asuras...and the high-sovereign is the strongest of all of them," she replied confidently.

"What do you know about the rest of the asuras then?"

I wasn't sure what our father had taught her...but I knew that she'd likely been vaguely informed about them, just like I had been. Back then I didn't know why my father had taught me about the asuras in a way that not even the schools in Alacrya were able to, but now it all made sense.

"I know that the high-sovereign was banished by the savages of the dragon race. And I know that most of them are the bad guys."

"I take it that dad never told you anything about our mother then?" I asked, exhaling the pressure that had been building up in my body with a shuddering breath.

She shook her head in denial.

"My-our mother was one of those asuras...not of the Vritra clan or even the Basilisk race for that matter."

Cordelia's eyes widened in shock, but she mostly kept quiet as I explained. I noticed that through her shock, she still seemed somewhat frightened, likely still rattled from what had just happened.

"When we were born, our mother placed a seal on each of us, and they hid the fact that we were part asura from us. But when I went into the relictombs for the first time, a week—I mean a couple of months ago, the seal was broken when I almost died."

Cordelia followed along, nodding.

"That's why we're hiding out here...to make sure that we don't get caught by anyone who can sense me, and eventually you."

"So will I get to be as strong as my big brother?" She asked innocently.

I stifled a small laugh before confirming her question. 

I reasoned that she took the information pretty well all things considered. Most kids wouldn't believe such an outlandish thing, but Cordelia had seen my fins and my scale-like body armor. She'd seen the way I was able to control the water as if it were an extension of myself.

"Is that why I could see perfectly underwater?" She asked, breaking my train of thought.

After I fully comprehended what she'd just said, I nodded.

'I'd always wondered why my eyesight was so good underwater, and it only got better when my seal broke...

'It seems like the seal wasn't able to fully suppress our abilities. That's probably why I was able to use water magic so easily at such a young age.'

"Come on Lia, we should probably head through the portal before I'm suddenly not able to find it," I said, reaching out my hand.

The portal was actually underwater, in a little cave that was being guarded by 2 of those damned serpent worm things. Somehow, everything in this zone seemed to be confined to wherever Cordelia and I moved. It was almost as if anything outside of our senses didn't exist at all.