Chapter 5

Decently sized time skip

"What are you doing?" 

"Making you a new toy." Stephanie stood outside the living room in her Captain America pajamas. She stood there watching Tony drill a hole in the middle of the room. 

"Why do you like destroying the floors in your houses?" She asked.

"Because I can afford to fix them." Tony looked up, taking a pause at drilling to look at the kid. He smiled teasingly taking in her form before his smile dropped. "Why are you wearing those?" 

Stephanie looked down at her clothes and smiled at the red white and blue shield plastered over her chest. "Natash - Natalie got them for me. I like Captain America." She looked back up at Tony a giant smile on her face and blonde hair bouncing around her face. 

"Great, you too huh?" Tony looked back at his drill and the whole he was creating over his workshop. He reached up and scratched his head, "Uh, go to your room and play with your toys, I don't think you should be around here right now." 

"Why?"  Stephanie walked closer to Tony. He sighed and started to drill again. "I can help."  She said.

"Oh yeah?" Stephanie watched as Tony grunted, trying to start the drill machine back up, when it didn't work he looked back up at her. "Well if you wanna help you have to promise to listen to me. I don't need to deal with all the paper work if you end up falling through the floor." 

"I promise."

"Good," Tony smiled at her, Stephanie smiled back. "First thing you can help me with is, uh, scouting." 

"What's that." Stephanie furrowed her light eyebrows in confusion. Tony hummed and walked over to her, temporarily leaving his mess behind. 

"It's a very important job. I need you to go outside and make sure no one tries to break in and steal your new toy that I am definitely making." He once again smiled at her, half expecting her to smile and do as he said with out any question, but he should've know his kid would be smarter than that. 

Stephanie stared up at her guardian annoyed. "I'm not dumb, that's Jarvis' job. You just want me to go away." She crossed her arms and stomper her foot, trying to show the man that she was serious. Tony froze.

"What? No, no of course not. Yes Jarvis may alert me but you could protect me. You know if you ever want to grow up to be like me, you're going to need practice if there are any bad guys." 

"Why would I wanna be like you?" The kid sassed. An awkward silence filled the room.

"Ouch kid. You really know where it hurts huh?" Tony brushed off the kids insult and went back to his work. Stephanie looked at her feet, then back to Tony. 

She grunted, "Fine. I'll go make sure no one gets in." Tony silently laughed and shoo'd her away. He listened to the sound of her light footsteps scurrying away before going back to drilling.

___________

Believe it or not, Stephanie wouldn't mind growing up to be like Tony, despite all his flaw she thought he was a good person. She had only said what she said to try and prove a point, she wanted to show Tony that despite being eight, she could still handle most likely anything thrown at her, but seeing his hurt face made her agree to this "scouting" missions. 

But now that she's actually outside and "scouting" she really wishes she had held her ground. Obviously no one is going to break in to steal something that she knew wasn't a 'toy'. So instead of doing something actually fun, like beating people up or building weapons with Tony, she's stuck sitting outside playing with blades of grass and a baby bunny she had found hopping around. She would've gone back to her room like Tony had originally told her, but no matter how sound proof the walls were she could still hear and feel the drilling. Besides the bunny she'd found, which she named Sir Hops was fun to be around. Unlike most animals that run away when humans get close, Sir Hops stayed and had let the small girl pick him up a couple of times. Now the two are both hopping around in a large path of grass in the front of Tony's mansion.