chapter 7

The beeping coming from the drone was slowly getting faster. In a split second Stephanie was pushed behind Pepper, as they feared for the worse. Stephanie really wished she still had her sunglasses so they would hide the amount of tear that welled up in her eyes, but she had given them to Peter. 

Stephanie wrapped her arms around Peppers waist, before larger, metal ones encased the both of them. Stephanie and Pepper yelled as the were quickly flown away just as the bot exploded. 

As fast as they were picked up they were placed on top of a tall building.  Pepper of course was freaking out. She pushed Tony away as she tried to calm herself while Stephanie slowly stepped away from the both of them. "Awesome."

"I can't take this." Pepper said, her hands over her eyes.

"You can't take this..."

"I can't take this."

"...Look at me." Tony intercepted.

"That was awesome!" Stephanie ignored the two of them and ran over to the edge of the roof amazed.

"My body , literally cannot handle the stress."Pepper complained as Tony tried to calm her down. "I never know if you're going to kill yourself or wreck the whole company."

"I just- I think I did okay." Pepper shook her head.

"I guit. I'm resigning." Stephanie gasped and looked at Pepper behind her. Her eyes started to water.

"What." The kids voice just barely above a whisper, unlike Tonys.

"What did you just say? You're done?" Tony stepped forward, "That's surprising. No it's not surprising. I get it. You don't have to make any excuses." Pepper tried to retort but Tony wouldn't let her get a word in. "You actually were just making an excuse."

"No I was not making an excuse, my reasoning were extremely justified."

"You deserve better." Tony ended the bickering.

"Well..."

"You've taken such good care of me..." Ugh. Stephanie blocked their voices out, she knew exactly how this was gonna go and frankly she didn't want to see it. She rolled her eyes before a figure on the other side of the roof made an appearance. She silently gasped and ran over to him, wrapping her arms around the metal body of her uncle figure. They stayed like that for a couple of seconds before she heard the fighting behind them stop, she turned to see what was going on but Rhodey kept from doing so. 

"You probably don't want to look."

"Ah, okay." She could hear the two beginning to talk again  

"Weird." Tony said.

"No I don't think it was." Pepper replied.

"It wasn't, oh well then..."

"I think it was weird." Rhodey interrupted them. The two lovebirds looked over in shock to see their friend sitting on the edge of the roof and his large metal hand covering Stephanie eyes. "You guys look like two seals fighting over a grape."

"I had just quit actually." Pepper said. Tony began to back her up but Rhodey didn't wanna hear.

"Yeah, you don't need to do that, I heard the whole thing." 

"So did I and it was really gross." Pepper covered her face embarrassed at Stephanie's words.

"You should get lost." Tony pointed at Rhodes who scoffed.

"I was here first. Get a roof." Tony faked a laugh and held onto Peppers waist.

"I thought you were out of one liners?"