Chapter 8: Laments

Over the week that followed the first and second meeting of Lady Anne, Secretary Cromwell persuaded the King to stick to the original agreement and marry the woman. Unfortunately for Cromwell, this would be the start of his downfall. It brought much delight to the Prince of Wales.

The day before the wedding, Henry told Charles to help him look for grounds for an annulment since his secretary is so incompetent. He stated, "I do not wish to marry a Flander's Mare. But if I must marry the woman to keep the peace between England and Kleve, I will need assurance I can set her aside. I like her not! I like her not!"

And so the King married the woman, but it was not enjoyable. Not for him and especially not for his family, who knew the marriage was doomed the minute they saw the woman. Mary couldn't help but feel sorry for Lady Anne.

As she got ready for the wedding event, she told this to Charles. "I can't help but feel embarrassed for the woman. None of this is her fault. It's my father's wrongdoing in choosing her based on a painting. He should have met Anne before getting himself into a betrothal contract. And the fact that no one of good reputation wanted to marry him is again his fault, due to how he treated his first two wives."

Charles could not disagree with that point. "I agree, but there's nothing we can do except try not to bring her anymore disgrace. Your father has me helping him look for ways to set her aside."

The two finished getting ready for the wedding. Mary wore a soft blue dress embroidered with silver flowers and vines. The whole top half of the gown is nothing but embroidery, and it's stunning. She wore her hair down with a diamond tiara set in it.

As for Charles, he donned a rust-colored brocade doublet with a maroon velvet overcoat. Embroidered in gold on the sides of the doublet are vines with leaves, almost matching the vines on his wife's dress. His princely riband draped over his left shoulder. When they finished dressing, they exited their apartments together. Lady Dot and Lady Paisley followed along with them, as did Sir Anthony and their host of guards.

The children were not attending, as it wasn't necessary. Mary didn't want them to misbehave and cause a distraction unnecessarily. The twins are going through some sort of naughty phase, where they will intentionally test their boundaries and the patience of those in charge of them. Gillian is teething and is miserable. She can see it now with all eyes turning in annoyance on their parents. So, no. The children are staying in their rooms.

The Prince and Princess, and their retinue, met the King, who looked glorious in cloths of gold, with silver embroidery and bands of dark fur. His coat was of crimson satin fastened with diamonds, and one of his great golden chains was hanging around his neck. He appeared very regal despite not wanting to marry Lady Anne.

Solemnly the group walked to the Queen's Closet. Because of Henry's gloom, it felt like they were walking toward a death sentence, not a wedding. Once they arrived, they saw Lady Anne standing with her brother, the Count of Overstein, who is giving her away. Likewise, she too is draped in gold cloth with embroidered flowers, and her hair is left down with a coronet.

Archbishop Cranmer performed the ceremony, and afterward, they left for Mass in the King's Closet. His Majesty, his wife, and the highborn lords and ladies wore away the day with a fantastic meal, another church service, and a masque ball. Eventually, the time came for the couple to consummate their union. With a massive intake of breath, the King stood and went to perform his duty.

Mary leaned over to whisper to her husband. "It's like he's not even trying."

Chuckling, Charles picked up his wine goblet. "I salute you, wife. You will be the one woman bedded properly tonight. Unlike His Majesty, I can assure you my duty will be most thorough and not over with in a matter of seconds." He eyed her, and goosebumps broke out on her arms along with a healthy blush on her cheeks.