Chapter 13: Attitudes

Day three of laying in bed is going the same as day one. Charles Brandon is grumpy. He's been molly-coddled and assisted with everything. On the first day, he understood rather perfectly why he needed assistance. His strength is not yet back to full force. Even today, he is weak, though nothing like the days before.

He could not move his head and was worthless to lift even a finger. Talking had been a strain. But that was then. Now he's gained more strength, and his muscles are ready to aid him of their own free will. Yet still, he must lie in bed. He's tired of hearing, "The doctor has ordered you to be in bed for four days. You will not move until he has cleared you to do so." So here he lies, irritable and cantankerous.

If he has to listen to any more of Sir Lamorak and the Grouchy Giant, he will lose his mind. Mary entered with a servant girl bringing a tray of fruits, vegetables, and bread. The girl sat the food at the table, curtsied, then left. That's another thing making him fussy. He huffed out a breath of contempt and muttered, "Stupid fruit and vegetables."

His wife heard this. "The stupid fruit and vegetables will help you gain strength and not work against your stomach." She walked to the bed and helped gather him into a comfortable eating position, though he grumbled as she did so. Her eyes narrowed at his blue ones as she tucked the napkin into the front of his tunic. This action also made him irritable. He asked, "I'm not a child. Must I wear the napkin like one?"

While the Princess brought the tray of food over, she remarked, "My, but someone is wearing their grumpy pants today." She laid out his utensils and went to fetch a goblet of water.

Staring at the accursed food, he sighed. "Yes, I have them on. In fact, not only am I wearing my grumpy pants, I have on the whole complete outfit."

Mary laughed at his comment and handed him the water. He placed it at the back of the tray. She sat beside him as he began to eat, though with a sulky attitude. Taking the book from the bedside table, she opened chapter seven. "Let's see what Sir Lamorak is up to today in his quest for bravery against the Grouchy Giant. I wonder if he will reach the giant's lair?"

His Highness's fork stilled in front of his mouth. He put it down in a rough manner. "Mary, must we hear what Sir Lamerock is doing? Can't I eat in peace?"

Her lips pinched together, and her eyes stared him down. "Lam-or-ak," she enunciated the syllables.

Charles challenged her by again saying, "Lamerock." He knew what he was getting himself into by calling the knight that, but he didn't care. His eyes stared hers down--- blue against blue. She would either argue with him or leave him to eat in peace. Either option is good. The argument itself is energy well spent, especially since he's done nothing for two (going on three) days now. But if she leaves, then he doesn't have to hear any tales of knights.

Their eyes continued in a locked battle. Until His Majesty entered the room with stately grace and navy velvet clothes fastened with diamond buttons. He took one look at the scene before him and asked, "What is this? The war room of King Francis and The Holy Roman Emperor?" He walked over and inspected Charles's lunch. His nose wrinkled in distaste.

The Prince saw that and motioned with his hand. "You look hungry, Sire. Here have my food." He held out the utensils for him.

Henry waved them off and took a seat beside his daughter. "No. I had a hearty breakfast of ham, cold chicken, cheese, bread, and honeyed figs. I'm quite filled." Charles's mouth watered hearing of those things.

The Princess marked her place with the ribbon. She smiled sweetly at her father and did the same to her husband. "Yes. Of course, you did, father. Unlike Charles, who is just regaining his strength and stomach. Once the doctor clears him, he can eat the same things as you."