Chapter 11: Distractions

Marriage, in many ways, is like money. Money is made of paper, similar to a marriage certificate. But it takes hard work to obtain it. The same is true for marriage and a good relationship. It isn't something a person finds or steps into blindly. It's about building a foundation together. A foundation that has to be continually built upon for success. And that requires hard work for forgiveness, spending time together, growing together, opening up to each other, overlooking annoying habits, and loving each other.

Mary knows her father's upcoming marriage to the child will fail for all these reasons and more. She's been trying not to let it bother her, but without much success. During the packing, she felt the irritation rise in her. And now, in the carriage, she's restless. Tossing her book aside, the Princess shook her head.

Charles noticed his wife's agitated state. Placing his folder on the other seat, he angled himself to get a better look at her. Her face is drawn, her jaw is tight, and her shoulders are tense. "What's bothering you, Sweetheart?" As if he didn't know.

Her attention turned to him. "This marriage will be a sham. It's a mockery of marriage. I cannot get over the age difference, likewise the fact that the girl is the Duke of Norfolk's pawn. That man is greedy for gain and is always up to no good. I don't understand why my father cannot see that!"

The Duke of Norfolk is a constant thorn in the Prince's side. The man always has been. He thought Howard learned his lesson with Anne Boleyn, but Charles was wrong. "I know you are unhappy with this union, but it's not your decision. It's your father's choice, and he has chosen this girl. I don't know what's so special about Howard women that cause your father to forget himself and act stupidly. Maybe they crap gold on the toilet. I don't know."

Those words earned him a swat to the arm and his wife saying, "Don't be uncouth." It also got a chuckle out of her.

He went on to say, "Even if they do crap gold, it's not your choice to decide who your father marries. I know you worry about how this will look to the foreign courts and the impact on the kingdom. But, Mary, that too is out of your control. I will say this only once, and I will say it with love."

His words got her attention. What could he possibly say that he hasn't before? She sat eager to hear.

Taking his wife's hand into his, he raised it and placed a sweet kiss on the top. His thumb rubbed over it as he spoke. "You cannot control everything. Sometimes you need to let go and relax. Have faith that things will work out as they should. Stop overthinking and just breathe."

She huffed out a breath. Of all the things Charles could have said, he chose to say that. "But I don't want him to get hurt. I don't want the kingdom to get hurt---"

Her husband interrupted her. "I know, but again you can't control it. You cannot control the outcomes of your father's decisions and how they affect the kingdom. You are not God. You do not have that power. So, again let it go."

He gently tugged her into his side and spoke again. "Your father has to learn from his mistakes, same as everybody else does. Sometimes he thinks he's above making mistakes, but he isn't. I believe this marriage will be one of those times he will have to learn from."

Fiddling with a red rose on her sleeveless dress, she supposes her husband is correct. "Alright, Charles, I will try to let it go for the good of my mind and our marriage."

A smile came upon his handsome, scruffy face. "Good, then I think a distraction will help you in this." She pulled back and looked into his face. Questions were in her eyes. So His Highness declared, "Oh yes, Wife. You need to come out of your mind and your mood. As your husband, it is my duty to see that happen. Starting right now, I am going to divert your attention." Before she could respond, his lips did all the talking for them both. And they talked, and they talked, and they talked practically the whole way to Oatlands Palace in Surrey.