Chapter 40: Loyalty

Life teaches many valuable lessons. One of them is that there's no control over someone's loyalty. No matter how good a person can be to another, it doesn't automatically mean they'll treat you the same way. No matter how much a person means to you, it doesn't mean they'll respect you in return. And here's the truth: sometimes those you love the most turn out to be the ones you can trust the least. It's funny how often this plays out in families or close friendships. Betrayal from family is the worst kind of wound.

The following day saw the trial of a brother and sister, Henry Surrey and Mary Fitzroy. The Duchess of Richmond was released, and her presence at court dwindled. The two of them had a falling out before the arrests. She gave testimony against her brother that set in motion his execution. The Duchess explained how Surrey suggested that she should seduce the aged King, her father-in-law, and become his mistress. Mary Fitzroy said he told her this would allow her to "exert as much influence on him as Madame d'Etampes does with the French King." Outraged, the woman said she would "cut her own throat" rather than "consent to such villainy."

Mary further told the Council that her brother and father had a distaste for " made " men who were not born of royal birth. It stands to reason they did not care for the Prince of Wales or the Duke of Somerset. Which the two didn't and would always look down their noses at Charles and Edward. It's also why the Duke of Norfolk gave the Princess of Wales much grief and trouble. The man loathes her, and being married to Charles Brandon, the King's favorite, did her no favors. But that's Norfolk's personal problem that he'll have to bear the rest of his pitiful excuse of a life.

The Duchess stated how her brother said, "If God called away the King, they should be thankful for it." She also told them that he replaced the coronet with a crown on his coat of arms. When guards searched Surrey's home, they found more evidence against him--- a plate that he had commissioned had been quartered with the sigil of Edward the Confessor. He designed this even though the only person in the kingdom who could claim that heraldry was the King himself. It was an act of pride and self-will.

Thomas Howard was brought in, and he confessed. The head of the Howard family acknowledged that he had "Suppressed high treason, in keeping secret the fraudulent acts of my son, Henry Earl of Surrey. He had used the arms of St. Edward the Confessor, which pertain only to kings." The man offered his lands to the King. Interestingly the Duke of Norfolk's family, including his estranged wife, his daughter Mary, and his mistress, Elizabeth Holland, all gave evidence against him.

That day the Council, by order of King Henry, sentenced Henry Surrey and his father, the Duke of Norfolk. They were charged with treason for quartering the royal arms. They were secondly accused of treason against the Crown and the heirs to the Crown, plotting harm to the Prince and Princess, and assisting in the plots of Catherine Howard. Due to rank of nobility, the penalty for this was death by beheading. Their deaths would come the next day.

Once these trials and sentencings were over, Charles and Edward returned to the palace. Having changed, the two men played each other in a tennis match to let out some of the tension they felt. The pair crushed each ball sent their way, making those watching wonder if the men held hostility toward each other. That was quickly laid to rest when the duo broke out into laughter at the end of their match and gave each other manly hugs. Plus, the Prince invited the Duke and his wife to dine with him and Mary.

Upon entry to his palace apartments, Charles was greeted with a romantic scene. Drippy candles were placed all around the sitting room, and Paisley exited the bed chamber with a sneaky grin. She passed by the Prince, patted his arm, and left the suite altogether. Charles rested his tennis racket on the chair closest to the window. He also began taking off his boots, wondering what his wife is up to. Whatever it is, he's ready for it.