PART ONE | Chapter Four

~~~

"God no- NO-"

---

He gasped for air and gripped the hospital bed sheets. Max stared at the ceiling of the room, before looking to his sides. He glanced at the bag of blood to the left of his bed, the machine that made a beep, and the man sitting in the chair next to his bed.

The redhead had huddled himself up in blankets. His face bandaged; mainly his nose and a bandage on his cheek.

Max, breathing slowly, opened his mouth. "David..."

He said, his voice so very quiet. "David, wake up." Max begged. He was unable to move, his whole body felt numb and weak. His bones are sore, as if he had been fighting and running for years.

Max panted, closing his eyes tightly as he shifted in the bed. Max huffed and whined. "Gwen.." Tears formed in Max's eye's as he looked to the right of his bed and stared at the note on the table next to him. 

'Signed - Maxwell's Parents'

Max tried to reach for the letter but his arm wouldn't move. He grunted before looking down and... his arm was gone. Max felt his eyes widen, and his body flushed cold. He stared at the bloody bandage that wrapped around his shoulder. His breath had been stolen from him. He felt as if he couldn't breathe. He had no memory of losing his arm.

---

"We had to discard the arm, it had started to decay by the time the police arrived here with the four. Have you checked on the girl?"

"Yes, Briana is in there with her. Her parent's haven't been answering their calls."

"And for the boy?"

"The red head? He's refusing to give us his parent's phone numbers. He just won't talk."

"Hm. We will have to find their parent's. Hopefully they aren't like the armless kids parents. Poor boy."

---

The door opened and Max flinched. His eyes darted at the nurse walking in.

"Good morning, did you get any rest?" The woman approached the bed, her voice soft and calm. Max watched her and remained silent.

The woman started typing on the computer set up on his left. 

"Maxwell, can I ask you some questions?" Max looked at his shoulder again. 

"Ah, well, if you answer my questions, I can answer any questions you have." She offered and Max looked back. 

He glances at David who still was sleeping.

"How's your breathing?" The woman asked and Max looked back at her. "Can you take a deep breath for me, and slowly exhale when I tell you?" Max didn't understand why he would need to do a breathing exercise. "Breath in." The nurse made a gasping sound. Max was hesitant but he did as told. He took a deep breath then something sharp scraped the inside of his throat. He started coughing, his left hand reaching up to rub his throat.

The nurse started typing and Max glanced at her. "Wait, let me try again-" He says, his voice raspy and scratchy as if he was a smoker. The nurse smiled softly. She kept writing.

"Of course, go ahead dear."

Max stared at her, he inhaled and the feeling returned. He let out a quiet whine and held his breath. He tried to ignore the pain, but the woman only watched him. "And exhale." The nurse said, Max breathed out. He exhaled quickly, but the pain went away.

"Does it hurt to take deep breaths?" The nurse asked. Max looked away and nodded.

"Okay, you lost an insane amount of blood. Now, throughout the rest of last night, we were able to bandage up your shoulder and give you blood so you don't die. But because of the blood loss, you are extremely weak and sensitive. Okay?"

The nurse explained as Max stared at her. "Where is my arm?" He asked, but he sounded more demanding. "Unfortunately, due to your location being isolated from any nearby city, your Counselor had to drive a good thirty - forty minutes to reach the nearest town. He got help from a man there and the police arrived in another thirty minutes while your counselor and the man bandaged you with his bandana." Max looked at David. "The man that was helping didn't have a working refrigerator, and the two were more focused on your pulse and getting any blood to stop. By the time the ambulance brought you to the hospital, the arm had formed a... infection. Maybe even molding."

Max made a face, a mixture of disgust and being upset.

"It's not time that caused the infection to form, it was the weapon the person used to cut your arm off. We found very, very small glass shards in the muscles, and the glass had been covered in a bacteria of another man's blood along with what you find on the forest floor. The police found a glass shard that carried the blood of a couple of different people. The police also found a pistol, it had blood on the handle of two different people." She sighs. "Has the police figured anything out?" Max asked.

"They are trying to identify who was the murderer was. Our only suspect's are you, your counselor, and your other two friends." Max's eyes widened.

"Neil? Nikki? They survived?"     The nurse stared at Max, the slightest of confusion on her face.

"Erm... No, sweetie. I was talking about Edward and Sasha." Max's face went pale. The nurse blinked before grabbing Max's shoulder. "Kid?"

"I... who all survived?" The nurse sighed. "As I said before. Only the four of you survived, but with major injuries. I'm sorry." The nurse let go and started typing. "You seem to have a clear mind of what's going on, can you remember anything of what happened?" The nurse asked.

"Fuck- Max, run!"

"Wait- WAIT-"

Crack

"Poor.. poor Gwen."

"W-Wait, Please, Kill me instead!"

"Don't you want to watch?"

"Please!"

"Shut up."

"PLEASE!"

"Sweetie?" The nurse waved her hand in front of Max's face, Max flinched and she took her hand back. 

"Can you remember anything?" Max stared at her for a long moment. He opened his mouth, and breathed. He looked away, then at his arm.

"No. I don't remember anything."

~~~

(OKAY OKAY ITS DONE. I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter. But it's always fun to traumatize characters soo- I'm going to start uploading chapters more frequently (hopefully) now that I have more free time and inspiration/motivation to write it.)

(1079)