PART ONE | Chapter Six

~~~

"You've been adopted."

The words ringed in Max's, Sasha's, and Edwards ears. Sasha was the first one to start laughing. Edward just smiled. Max was the only one who recognized David's serious tone and expression.

"You're joking! My mo-" David looked at her. "Don't even try to pull that." David snapped. "I know about all of your family, and how you; Sasha, have two parents who left you at a camp with some alcoholic crazy woman that you called 'Garden Mommy'. And how Edwar- Pikeman. Pikeman's parents died and Max's parents never gave a shit about him just like you Sasha. Excuse my language." David smiled softly.

Sasha was left shocked with the sudden mood change that David exposed and Max just stared in shock from being told that he was adopted. Pikeman couldn't even talk.

"I've talked to them, argued and I will have your birth certificates by the end of this week. Then I will have full custody. Pikeman will have some court involved, but it's better than you three going back to those... squares." David had searched for something to say. "And I understand if you don't want to live with me, and you don't have to call me your father, or dad, or parental figure and you can see me as just a man who cares for you... I am completely fine with that. I just want you three to know; I will be your guardian till you are ready to take care of yourselves."

Max watched as the red head shifted and took a raspy breath. "The things I was told about you three, I don't think you would have wanted to return to those people." David lowered himself and sat on his knees at the end of the three beds. "And I am so... so very sorry I hadn't realized sooner and I would have done something about it." David whispered, his words aimed for Max. Sasha looked at Pikeman, and Pikeman glanced at her.

"Did they give you any money?" Sasha asked. "My bank account is still mine, right?" Sasha asked and David looked at her. "Yes, I believe so. They gave me a good fifteen thousand. That will give us a start." David smiled. Max was the only one to notice the growing tears in the red head's eyes. David's smile twitched and the man stood. "Are you three hungry at all? Can I get you any snacks?"

"What time is it?" Sasha asked and Pikeman raised his hand. "Around two in the evening." David looked at Pikeman and Pikeman started writing on the paper provided. Max studied David.

"If it's possible, could you try to find a salad? Or maybe a smoothie?" David nodded and Pikeman handed his paper to David. David read it and made a thinking expression. "I'll have to ask the nurse about your options, but I should be able to find this." David folded the paper and slid it into his pocket. He looked at Max.

"Are you hungry?" David asked again and Max shrugged. David sighed, his expression shifted to uneasiness as the forming tears finally dropped. Max was the only one to see this, again, and David quickly turned around to leave. Through the small glass window on the door, David's head lowered, and his hands covered his face.

Max clinched the bed sheets before dragging the white sheet off his legs. Sasha looked at him. "What are you doing?" She asked, and he ignored her. He slid his feet to the side of the bed. He tried to push himself into standing, but wasn't able to walk. He looked back at the door and quickly grabbed his blood bag pole and used it to stand. Pikeman stared at Max before looking at Sasha. Sasha shrugged.

Max pulled on the pole and it started wheeling with Max as he wobbled over to the door. Max grabbed the handle and opened the door only to find that David was walking down the hall. Max looked down the empty hallways and as the door closed he walked into the middle of the hallway.

"David-" Max attempted to shout but his voice only came out raspy and his throat felt like it was ripping.

Max whined and took a deep breath, the pain got worse and Max struggled to exhale. The breathing was getting harder, and David was walking away. Max looked down the hall before he gathered his breath and:

"DAVID!" Max quickly shouted and David spun around. Max cried slightly, David stared at Max before jogging back over to him. "What are you doing? You're not supposed to be walking right now, Max! I thought the nurse told you-" As David complained, Max quickly hugged David. The boy's face hidden away in David's green shirt that he had yet to change out of. Even with one arm, it was a hug. David was startled by the sudden affection and looked down at the boy before slowly putting his hand on Max's head.

David's throat closed, and his breath went to a halt before his mouth started trembling again. David struggled not to start bawling but his eye's started clouding up and David covered his mouth with his empty hand. Max knew that David was struggling, Max couldn't help other than providing a hug.

David stepped back and got on his knees, David pulled Max close and hugged him, Max hugged back and David let out quiet sobs. Max was silent the entire time. "Max, we have to go to the funeral. And we have to go back to the camp." David stuttered. "I told them I didn't want to go back to the camp, but for the police to find anything, I have to give them a tour." David hugged tighter.

"They are going to let us grab out belongings, but I... I don't want to see that... that horrible place again." David broke down and Max's mouth opened slightly. "David..." Max said quietly. "Gwen would tell you to suck it up." Max managed to smile. David went quiet before laughing.

"My goodness, she would." David pulled back and wiped his eyes. "Thanks." David said, and looked at Max. Max smiled just slightly before David stood. "Come on, let's get you back in bed." David helped Max back into the room, Sasha was messing with the TV remote and Pikeman was just resting.

"What flavor?" David asked and Max looked at him. "Vanilla." David helped Max back on the bed and Sasha looked at the two. She studied them for a second before looking back at the TV and going through more channels. Once Max was back to laying down David left, this time he felt better and he looked more confident.

Max watched Sasha pass the good channels, then he went back to falling asleep.

~~~

(What's your favorite flavor of ice-cream?)

(1128)