Chapter 12

"Good news, everyone!" my father says as he walks into the room. "Looks like we are finally getting rid of that family."

"What are you talking about?" my mother asks.

"I just saw their son... Declan is he called? I saw him leaving on a carriage full of bags and trunks. If he is leaving, I guess his parents will join him soon."

It's been two weeks since we last saw each other. Two weeks since that night.

"You should have seen the way he looked at me when he saw me, though" my father continues. "The hate. It's as if I had done something to him."

I can't help but chuckle when I hear him.

"Did you say anything, daughter?" he asks me.

"No, nothing" I say. But I notice the way my mother is looking at me. She definitely heard me.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

It's been three months since that day.

The preparations for the wedding, that is happening next week, have kept my head busy during the day, but at night... At night I can't help but think about everything that has happened and is going to happen, and most days I fall asleep when I'm tired of crying.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"You look beautiful, daughter" my mother says when I come out wearing my wedding dress. We are at the modiste for my last fitting, and I'm hating every single second of it. My dress inclunded. I hate how it looks, how it feels, what it means.

"Oh, darling" the modiste says when she notices that I have started crying. "Now that it is finished it feels real, doesn't it?"

I just nod, not wanting to talk. If I do, I'll probably say something I shouldn't. Like that I don't want to marry Mr. Holland. He's lovely, and so is his family, who have been staying with us for the last couple of weeks. But I don't love him. I keep telling myself that I'm doing this for my family, for their future. For our  future. But nothing about it feels right.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

Three days until the wedding.

The house is a complete chaos with people coming in and out, having everything ready for the ceremony. And I just stare at them. It's my wedding, but it feels like it belongs to someone else.

"I can't believe they got the flowers wrong again" my mother says as she comes to where I am standing. "Why don't we go out for a walk? I need some fresh air."

I just nod and follow her. These days it's all I do, nod to people and follow them around.

"Have you been listening to anything I've said?" my mother asks when we make it to the river.

"Yes, of course."

"No, of course not" she says.

"Sorry, mother" I say, letting out a big sigh. "I'm just nervous and have too many things in my head."

"I'm afraid you only have one thing in your head. Someone whose name starts with Dec, and ends with Lan."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, my voice coming out in a squeak, my face burning.

"I know you two had something going on. I'm your mother and I have eyes, you know? And so does Lady Rice."

"I... We..." I don't know what to say. Both our mothers know about us. And I just hope they don't know everything about us.