Chapter 15

"If you don't close your mouth, you'll end up eating a fly."

"Shut up, Deccy" I say, my brain finally working again.

"Oh, there she is. I've missed you" he says with a smile.

"I've missed you too" I say, smiling back.

"Aren't we playing anymore?" one of the kids asks.

"Of course we are! Now it's my turn" Declan says as he unties the scarf from behind my neck. "We'll talk later" he says in my ear, my body instantly reacting to his closeness.

This time I don't join the game and choose to sit down with the excuse of needing some rest. He said that he missed me, but what if he doesn't forgive me? What if he asks me to stay just as friends? I don't think I could do that. It would be worst than not being able to see him anymore.

My head is starting to hurt, so I try to focus on the game and the kids. But it isn't helping. Seeing him playing with them just makes me want him more. I can see this being our future, him playing with our kids in our garden.

"My lady?" someone says behind me, bringing me back to reality. Lord Mount. "Sorry if I startled you, my lady."

"It's alright, my lord."

"I think you should start calling me Mason. We are friends, aren't we?" he says as he sits next to me.

"We are, my... Mason."

"How did it go? The reunion" he asks.

"We only had time to say that we had missed each other before the kids came back" I say.

"That's a beginning. And judging by his reaction when I told him you were here, and then when he saw you, he wants to fix things. He loves you" Mason says.

"And I love him too" I say in a whisper, my face turning bright red.

"Then let him know it" he says as he gets up and leaves to play with the kids.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

We don't have a chance to talk and be alone until we've had dinner and once the kids have gone to bed. While all the adults are busy talking around the fire, Declan gestures me to follow him outside, to the terrace that leads to the garden.

"I hope it isn't too cold out here" he says.

"It's fine."

We stay in silence for a few minutes, looking at everything but each other.

"I thought you would be a married woman by now. A sad married woman" Declan finally says.

"I thought the same" I reply. "But your parents and my mother thought otherwise."

"What?" he asks, rising his eyebrows in surprise.

"That was my face too" I say with a little laugh. "They organized everything so I was able to leave the night before the wedding without no one finding out. They had clothes ready, food for the trip, a carriage... James came with me, but we had a little accident and he broke his leg."

"Are you alright?" he asks, coming closer.

"I am, don't worry. I ended up with some bruises and a little cold because of the rain, but I'm fine."

"Good" he says. Again, we find ourselves looking at anything but the other, the silence back.

"I'm sorry" I say, this time being me the one who speaks first. "I'm sorry about everything that happened that night. But I felt it was the right thing to do to help my family." I've started crying, tears going down my cheeks. "I'm sorry about everything I said. For breaking your heart. The way you looked at me... I will never forgive myself for hurting you like that, for hurting the man I love" I say between sobs.