Chapter 7

The ceremony was taking place in shallow Valley. Once the people were settled and the valley and land was split between the two sets of people and community, Octavia wasted no time in making the bond between the people official. The ceremony with small and thrown together much quicker than Bellamy expected it to be. Not only that, but Octavia was taking it much more seriously than the situation called for.

Octavia made sure that both parties, Bellamy and Clark, we're part for the entire day. Not once seeing each other. They reserved the small church in the center of the village and brought the most important people who needed to witness the ceremony from both sides. It wasn't a traditional Earth wedding by any standards, nor was it tradition for grounders. It was their own making and a way of starting a new.

It wasn't as serious as Clarke dressing up in a brides gown or Bellamy in a tuxedo, but there were small decorations and the ceremony was taking place in a church. It wasn't like the old Earth films that Bellamy watched when he was on the Ark. There was no official preacher or pastor to unite the bond between them in the eyes of the law or a superior being. But there is someone from the ground their religion that knows of their tradition in ways of bonding two partners for life?. It wasn't a traditional marriage in a sense of what many expected it to be, from what it used to be. But it was theirs.

Bellamy and Clarke were kept apart until the ceremony was commenced to start. They arrive at the same time on opposite ends or the churches entrance, both escorted by one person they trust. For Bellamy it was his sister, for Clarke is was Shaw. It was a standard Earth tradition in many cultures for the woman to be walked by someone, in most cases a father or father figure, and hand them off to the groom. But for the grounders it was different. Both partners must be acquainted with a single member of family or a trusted ally. It was the grounders beliefs to walk their journey with their friends as they entered a new part of their lives. Extending every part of themselves and their connections to their life long partner.

Once at the alter each person stands alone as the ceremony begins. The grounder starts the ceremony officially by beginning their opening speech and presenting the rings for the couple to wear. There weren't vows to be spoken but promises. A pact exchanged between the pair to be loyal and honest, to bear each other's weight in illness and troubles, and above all, sacrifice for their people and future offspring. Once each promise is spoken and the pact bonded, the rings are slid on either of the left fingers before a thinly sliced cut is placed in their palms and a ribbon is tired to seal their bond. And to make the ceremony final? A single kiss.

Bellamy's breath hitches in his throat as he leans forward, feeling Clarke's breath fan against his face as their lips meet in the middle. It's quick and straight to the point as it should be. But as Bellamy opens his eyes first he feels his heart beats wildly in his chest as he witnesses the sun shine on Clarke's pale skin and dark lashed eyes. The blue in her eyes shimmering in the light as her eyes open. And for just a moment Bellamy believes it was real.

But reality crashes around them with the thunder of claps from the small crowd to witness their union.

After the union the celebration of the small gathering of witnesses, including the bride and groom, the party begins. Both those from Eligius and Wonkru feast on the open table filled with the harvested food around the valley. During the celebrations, however, Bellamy loses sight of Clarke. Only when the sun sets and the party ends and he makes his way to the cabin Diyoza had told them was theirs does he see her again.

The cabin was impersonal and mostly empty aside from the small kitchen, a couch and small table in the middle of the living room area, and a single bed on the far side of the cabin. There perched on the edge of the bed was Clarke herself sitting in her Eligius issued sweatpants and t-shirt, her hair cascading around her shoulders no longer braided. Her head was down as her interest solely focused on the book in her hand as her hand glides effortlessly over the page. The closer he gets the more he is able to see exactly what she was sketching, or rather who- her father. A part of him thinks he should leave her alone, allow her to stay in her own little world as she draws, but it was late and Bellamy lingered as long as he could before the party dispersed. Now he had no choice but to be home and to face Clarke alone