Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Waking up in New York City for the first time in a year was odd for Jade, and it resulted in an instant telepathic headache, but she embraced the familiar sensations of the city she had grown up in.

Austin was already awake and making breakfast. Beth and Joey were sitting at the kitchen table watching him. They had crashed in the apartment of a couple of cult kids that Jade knew who were out of town for the week. It had three bedrooms, although they only needed two. Beth took her own room, and Austin curled up in bed next to Jade, with Joey taking up residence on Jade's other side.

"You get up impossibly early for a vampire, Half Breed," Jade said.

"Morning, Sis," Austin greeted her warmly. "Coffee?"

"Ah, the magick word. Thanks," Jade replied, taking a cup. "You still remember how I like it..."

"Of course I do. I'd offer you pancakes, but I also remember that you don't eat breakfast."

"Coffee is my breakfast."

"You really should eat more, Jade. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," Beth said, taking some pancakes and bacon for herself.

"It's my New York blood. I can survive on nothing but coffee and sarcasm for days at a time," Jade replied. She took some food for Joey and started feeding him.

"So, what are we going to do today?" Austin asked.

"We're going to the Met, Central Park, and maybe the Village."

"Awesome! Maybe we can convince Beth to pierce her-"

"Bad Half Breed!" Jade scolded him. "Beth turns colors easily."

"What? I was just going to say her ears."

"Yeah, right. Sell it to someone who's buying."

"I already have my ears pierced," Beth pointed out.

"Once," Austin replied. "I know people who have thirteen holes in each ear."

"That seems a bit excessive."

"That's punk."

"I'm not Aideen. I can't pull that off."

"Stay here for a few days and I can help you shed that girl next door image you've got going on."

"Um... No thanks, I'm good." Beth's cheeks were turning bright pink.

"You're right, Jade. She does turn colors easily." Austin laughed.

"I told you so. Now leave her alone," Jade said.

"So, who's Aideen? Punk girls are hot."

"She's a friend from Salem. Maybe I'll introduce you to her one day, if you're a good Half Breed."

"Massachusetts has punks?" Austin asked in surprise.

"Believe it or not, yes, it does."

"Were you the first Goth they ever saw?"

"Very funny. No, I wasn't, but I'm part of a very small percentage at the high school."

"Hey, can we go to a fortune teller?" Beth asked suddenly.

"Why? They're mostly scam artists, and you can get a real reading for free at the Unit in Salem," Jade replied.

"I've just always wanted to go to one... I mean, if you think it's dumb, we don't have to," Beth said in embarrassment.