Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Confusion took control of Aideen's mind for a moment. "You're Arnie's father?" She asked as she tried to process that fact.

"Yes, I am," Luigi replied calmly.

"But... That means that you're a warlock," Aideen realized aloud.

"Indeed, my dear," he confirmed.

"But... You're the High Priest of the Salem witches!" Aideen said in outrage. Sure, Luigi had hired a hitman to kill her, but it was still impossible to believe that he might secretly be a warlock. The man had been running the witches since before she and Courtney were even born!

"Correct again, Aideen," Luigi replied with the patient smile he'd always had for her.

"I don't understand... How could someone as high ranking as you be a warlock without anyone realizing it?"

"I have many skills, including the memory modification talent my son has, although his appears to be much stronger than mine," Luigi explained.

"You've known Arnie for years. Why did you wait so long to go after him?" Aideen demanded.

"I suspected that he was my son from the time he was born, but there was no logical proof. Mrs. Gelman had been pregnant when Arnie was born. She miscarried. No one ever knew that Arnie was not their biological child. It wasn't until I tested a blood sample from an injury of his that I patched up that I knew for certain he was mine."

"Why did you do so many things to hurt him?"

"I want him to understand that he should be my ally, not my enemy. I can give him great power, but he needs to see reason first."

"So you killed the people he loved, tried to murder his girlfriend, and kidnapped his best friend?"

"I allowed Melissa to live. I'm actually quite fond of her. As for you, Arnie believes that you're dead. He'll come to me soon enough begging me to fix you. When he does, I'll release you with a nicely modified memory and all will be well."

"Like hell," Aideen replied firmly.

"How do you like your tea?" Luigi asked casually.

"I don't," she said harshly.

"That's alright, dear. I have plenty to offer you. You'll be comfortable in my care. Anything you desire, I will give you."

"How about my freedom?"

"Anything except for that. This won't take long, Aideen. My son is already quite broken. The Fosters have made sure of it."

"You made sure he went to them!" She realized in horror.

"Of course I did. I had to be certain that I could get to him this time."

"Listen, Luigi," Aideen began. "Leave Arnie alone or you'll find out what a Reaper can do when she's pissed off."

"You're in a safe room, Aideen. Your powers don't exist here."

"I'll get out eventually."

"Yes, but by then, you'll have forgotten all of this unpleasantness."

"Ambrosia will kill you for this betrayal."

"Ambrosia is grieving. She's quite easy to manipulate in this state, as I knew she would be."

"Oh my Gods," Aideen whispered as the rest of the pieces began falling into place. "You arranged the murders! You killed Annabella's kids! You killed Augustina!"