Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

Aideen blinked at him for several moments before saying, "Do you realize that you just told me you were hired to kill me and that you're here to protect me in under five minutes?" She finally asked.

"I told you it would sound crazy," he replied. "I'm not sure I understand it either, but I feel it in my gut. I'm supposed to protect you."

"Look, you have me at a disadvantage. I don't even know your name," she said.

"I'm Evan," he replied. He paused. Had he just told her his real name? He was slipping.

"I like that name. It's sexy," she grinned. "It suits you. Anyway, it's nice to meet you, Evan. I would love to tell you that you're crazy, but I think you're right. When I saw you on the waterfront, I felt a connection to you."

"I can't believe you saw me," he said in surprise. "No one sees me when I don't want to be seen."

"What can I say? I'm talented."

"Will you trust me to protect you?" Evan asked.

"Yes," Aideen replied without hesitating. "You saved my life today, and you risked your own to do it. That's more than enough to earn my trust."

"Your bodyguard wasn't there. I saw Cassandra following you around yesterday."

"You know her name?"

"She's famous, or infamous, depending on how you look at it. I knew her name before I ever came to Salem."

"She was taking care of an issue in the Common. I told her I'd be fine walking with Courtney, but then Court's boyfriend showed up and gave her a lift, and she very clearly wanted to be alone with him, so I decided to just walk on my own. I guess that was dumb of me."

"You're not dumb in any sense, Aideen," he said firmly.

"You barely know me," she pointed out.

"I've been watching you."

"That's both the creepiest and sexiest thing I've heard in a long time."

"Where were you heading?"

"School, technically. I don't always go to class, but I've been trying to make more of an effort since it's my senior year."

"I'll take you there," Evan decided.

"I'd rather stay here with you."

"Your friends will worry."

"That's what telepathy's for."

"School is important. You said you're a senior. You should enjoy your last year in high school."

"I'd enjoy it more if I could do some independent study... For example, I'd like to study the sexy young stranger who likes saving the lives of the people that he's supposed to kill."

"You're not very subtle," he said with a slight laugh.

"Subtle is boring."

"You have an answer for everything, don't you?"

"Absolutely."

He grinned again. No one ever made him smile like that, but around Aideen, it came easily. "Okay, I guess nearly getting killed warrants skipping school. You can stay here until it's a bit safer."

"I may be here for a long time then."

"That might not be such a bad thing." He shook his head. "I'm not normally like this."