Chapter Twenty-Five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Exactly one week later, most of Salem's supernatural community had gathered in the Salem Common around a single tree. Annabella wore an elaborate blue dress with silver spirals scattered across the bottom. Her cloak matched the dress exactly. Jacob wore a black suit and tie. They stood at the center of the Common.

"We gather together to make right this terrible wrong we have done," Annabella said. "May another innocent drop of blood never be shed."

"We share this land. We will cause no unwarranted harm, and we call for peace between our people," Jacob added.

"We light candles for the fallen." Annabella passed out white candles to everyone present.

"We light candles for the risen," Jacob said, passing out black ones.

They nodded to Aideen. She closed her eyes and each candle lit one at a time until the entire circle was made of flames.

"We stand united in peace," Annabella said, "and plant this tree as a sign of life beginning anew."

"As the tree grows, so must we," Jacob added. He took Annabella's hand. Together, they blessed the tree.

Everyone placed the candles on the ground and allowed them to burn out while they mingled with each other. A sense of peace filled the Common, and Aideen was certain that any lingering souls had finally crossed over.

"Is that Alice?" Arnie asked Aideen as he motioned toward the young witch.

"Yeah, she opted to be resurrected," Aideen replied. "Annabella was so relieved."

"I didn't think she'd want anything to do with the witches after what happened."

"She trusts Annabella's leadership."

"Have they found a new High Priest yet?"

"Annabella asked Johnny to take on the role. He said he'd consider it. I think he'd be perfect."

"How's Courtney? She keeps avoiding me."

"Court's doing much better. She got her energy back. She's still really embarrassed about what happened, but Mom and I are trying to get it through her head that it's not her fault. How's Dawn?"

"She's doing well. She still wants me to stay with her."

"Are you going to?"

"I'm sort of still working that out."

Evan joined them. "Okay, the ritual is over... Where's this obligatory gathering that I'm supposed to attend?" He asked.

"Right over here," Aideen replied, leading him toward the other Silver Society members.

Melissa was entertaining everyone with the full rendition of the song she'd written about her complicated relationship with Arnie. Dylan accompanied her on his guitar, thoroughly enjoying himself as he played the bouncy pop song. 

"I go out every night now, and you know I'm not alone. We're rocking our lil' party 'cause neither one wants to go home. It's beautiful and strange, this thing we've got going on. I know the label's not quite there, but we keep flowing on," Melissa sang. "Who cares about a title? I've got him, he's all mine. So what if he won't claim me? It's our normal and it's fine! He's my non-boyfriend boyfriend, loyal to the very end, even if it's just pretend, my non-boyfriend boyfriend!"

The others began to laugh, and a few couldn't help but dance along to the music. Arnie smiled as he watched Melissa sing passionately, giving the performance everything she had.