Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

Dylan was stunned to see Arnie in class that Monday. "Dude, it's not the first day anymore," he said. "It's the third. What are you doing here?"

"I decided to give education a try," Arnie replied dryly.

"Yeah, right," Dylan said with a laugh. "That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Seriously, what's up with you, Arnie?"

"I just... I like this class, okay?" Arnie replied.

"Since when are you a fan of reading?" Dylan paused. "Oh, I get it. You're still interested in Miss Keller."

"Is it so hard to believe that I'd like to attend class for once?"

"Yes. Yes, it really is."

"Shut up." Arnie took his seat and waited in anticipation for the teacher to arrive.

Did you go to your other classes? Dylan asked telepathically.

No, Arnie replied with a smirk, but the teachers think I did.

Now that sounds more like you! Dylan laughed.

"Good afternoon, everyone," Miss Keller said as she arrived. Her voice was like music to Arnie, and he swore he'd heard it somewhere before. It was oddly soothing.

S.O.S, Aideen suddenly sent out telepathically. Girl's locker room. Clean up assistance needed.

What happened? Arnie asked, hating to tear his attention away from Miss Keller, but as always putting Aideen first.

Just get down here. I'll explain everything when you do, she promised.

Arnie sighed. "Miss Keller? I'm not feeling so well. Can I see the nurse?" He asked.

"Of course, sweetheart," Miss Keller said, filling out a slip and handing it to him. "Feel better."

"Thanks." He felt like a horrible person for lying to her. She was so trusting, so sweet... Why the hell am I so obsessed with her? Arnie wondered. It's not a romantic thing, so what is it?

He arrived at the locker room quickly. Six dead teenagers lay in pieces across the floor. Despite it being a girls' locker room, most of them were male students. "What the hell did I miss?" Arnie asked as he looked at Aideen. She was covered in blood but looked uninjured.

"They jumped me," Aideen replied. "They demanded to know what side I was on and when I told them that I was on my own side, they tried to kill me. They succeeded, briefly. They slashed my throat. I guess they forgot that I get back up."

"You need blood." Arnie tilted his neck toward her.

"I need more than you can safely give me, Arnie. Just let me get some very, very rare steak and I'll be fine."

"Deenie... What were they talking about, picking a side?"

"It's this war between the witches and the vamps. It's getting bad already. Everyone wants people declaring sides. Me, Mom, and Courtney won't. We're witches and vampires, and if they don't like it, tough. So help me clean up, and let me get to a restaurant. I need steak, and I need it now."

"You need an entire person," Arnie said with a frown.

"I typically don't kill when I feed, remember?"

"Yeah, I know, but steak won't cut it, Deenie."

"Steak will be fine. I fed off of one of them, just not enough to kill him, and not enough to sate the bloodlust enough to guarantee I don't kill the next person I bite."