Chapter Twenty-Three

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Randy, Melissa, Susie, and Clarissa arrived at what had become the zombie headquarters just in time to see the rest of the Silver Society as well as several others struggling to escape. They were trapped behind a door that was surrounded by zombies who didn't react as strongly to the weapons and flame throwers. The windows did not break no matter how hard they hit them. The zombies were enraged by the escape attempts and growing angrier by the minute.

"Flesh eaters," Randy said in disgust. "I hate the flesh eaters."

"You hate all of them," Melissa pointed out.

"They've eaten recently," Susie said. "They're really strong. The people inside will never get by them on their own."

"We should have come up with a better plan," Clarissa said with a sigh.

"What kills the flesh eaters?" Melissa asked.

"They still burn when set on fire, but they're better at dodging the attacks. I guess they have human reflexes because they eat humans... Okay, I'm grossing myself out," Randy said, trying not to gag.

"We need someone to be bait. We've got to lure them away from the living," Melissa suggested. "I could do it. My shape shifting would probably confuse them."

"No," Randy said. "You're still recovering and you've already done a lot tonight... I'll do it."

Melissa touched his forehead. "Are you feeling okay, Jock Boy? You just volunteered for some hundred-on-one touchy-feely time with a bunch of flesh eating zombies."

"I'm on it," he said. "I can do this. Just trust me."

"I do, but you're terrified of these things. There has to be another way."

"There isn't." He took a deep breath away from the direction of the zombies and said, "When I say go, get that door open and free everyone. You're small. You'll be able to sneak right past them. Susie, gather a ton of energy and use it to protect the living. Clarissa, get their attention on me. They'll notice you because you're a Reaper. Just point them toward me and make sure they want to eat me. Are we all on the same page?"

"I'm in," Melissa said.

"Me too," Susie added.

"Are you sure about this?" Clarissa asked.

"Absolutely not," Randy admitted, "but it's the only plan I've got and we're out of time. Remember, make them focus entirely on me."

"Yeah, just tell them that Randy's crunchy and good with ketchup," Melissa joked, but clearly she was terrified of what they were about to do.

"If you need help, scream for me," Clarissa said. "Of the four of us, I'm the only one who can lay them to rest."

"Okay. Ready? One... Two..." Randy took another deep breath and said, "Three!"

Clarissa immediately raised enough energy to command the attention of the zombies. "Before you stands a boy you must consume. His flesh will give you new life," Clarissa told them.

As the zombies looked at Randy and began heading toward him, Melissa squirmed in and out of the rows they formed and made it to the door with little effort. She pried it open as soon as Susie nodded at her to say that she had raised enough energy.

Arnie threw his arms around Melissa as soon as he saw her. Everyone else surrounded her. "Now what do we do?" Jesse asked. Tommi West stood by his side looking a little bit freaked out but unharmed.

"We fight," Cassandra replied.

"That sounds like a plan," Tommi agreed. She looked at Evan before adding, "Can I play with one of your flamethrowers?"