two - did nothing

Eddie sat in the back and elevated Steve's head as he coughed. "We're almost there, just hold out for a while longer." He whispered, as Nancy made sharp turns and skipped red lights. It was midnight, so no-one was on the road, Max was sitting on the floor in front of Robin in the front of the car, as Eddie and Steve stayed in the back. "How much longer, Nancy?" Eddie questioned, impatient. "I'm almost there!" She hissed, pulling up into a parking spot. She ran outside and helped Eddie drag him out of the car, as Robin and Max ran hand-in-hand following the others. They checked in at reception, as the lady called for help with terror in her eyes. She yelled for someone continuously, trying not to make contact with the huge bit of skin missing from Steve's side. A doctor came over as they transported Steve into a room. Eddie followed after them, as Nancy, Robin, and Max sat in the waiting room. Max was sitting on the floor in front of the vending machine, trying to get through to Dustin and Lucas. "Dustin? Do you copy?" She said, numerous times with no answer. "Lucas?" She sighed, "Lucas, do you copy?" She groaned, as she rested her head in her hands in defeat, until she got a muffled shout from the other side of the call. "Lucas?" She asked, hopeful. "Max!" He shouted. The audio was still scrambled, so she changed the frequency. "Lucas, do you copy?" "Yeah, I copy. What's happening?" He asks, unaware of the situation. "We have a.. problem." Dustin picked up the walkie talkie. "What kind of problem?" He asked with a lisp. "Come to the hospital." She said, ending the conversation, "Over and out."

She sat on the linoleum floor in between Robin's legs, who was french-braiding her hair.  "Are you guys hungry?" Robin asked, in her raspy voice, leaving Max's hair. Nancy shook her head. "I could do a snack." Max replied, walking back over to the vending machine. The hospital was almost empty, only containing patients and doctors, just them sitting in the lobby. Robin took her purse out of her tote bag and gave Max a dollar and a palm full of cents for something. Max nodded and smiled, thankful for the money, hitting some buttons on the machine. As a snack dropped down from a shelf, you could hear shouting and arguing. Max stood up from her crouched position and ran over to the reception, spotting Lucas and Dustin. "What's happened?" Lucas asked, running toward Max. "It's Steve. He keeps hurting himself to no reason whatsoever - doesn't matter. Who wants to see him? Only two people can go up." Max explained, rambling about how Steve keeps harming himself. Dustin raised a hand. "I had a feeling it'd be you." Max mumbled, smiling, and walked them over to the lobby. "Nancy, you can go see Steve now, just take Dustin." Max said, waving a hand around the lobby, motioning for Lucas to sit down. They ended up sharing a bag of Skittles.

They walked into the hospital room, Steve almost-sleeping on the bed. Eddie was sitting right in front of the bed, a seat by one side and another by the other. "Is he okay?" Nancy asked, Eddie who shrugged slightly. "Who can tell?" He replied, in a monotone neutral voice. "What happened?" Dustin asked, walking around to the right side of the bed. Eddie joined them, staying at the foot of the bed. "Steve chose to came in to make sure the others were alright.. but yeah, surprise they weren't. The building was full of.. Ach- Achro..?" "Achroids." Dustin said, and nodded to let Eddie continue. "Achroids, yeah, and there was like- three of them. He took on them all while I just sat there and did nothing.." He inhaled, "He got hurt. Thats all."
Steve's finger twitched, as his eyes fluttered open. He tried to sit up, groaning, as the three scrambled over to push him back down to rest. "Steve, you're hurt." Nancy stated, caressing his shoulder. "I'm fine." He said, clenching his hip as he attempted to sit up again. "No you're not. Now stop bitching and lay down." Eddie demanded, pushing him down by the forehead, Steve grunting when he hit the pillow. Eddie left the room, "I'm grabbing something to eat," he says, down the hall. Nancy looked over at the door where she just saw Eddie, and then back at Steve. "Something happen that I'm not aware of?" She asked, scrunching her nose. Steve just swallowed. Dustin awkwardly rolled his lips and looked around, holding onto the railing of the hospital bed. "So an Achroid got to you?" He asked finally, after what seemed like an eternity of endless silence. "Yeah." Steve replied, exhaling. "Cool."
Eddie arrived back downstairs, asking Robin for spare change. "You wanna see Steve?" He asked, putting the coins in the machine. "Yeah! Is that okay with you?" "Yeah, obviously. Just take this up for him." He said, handing her a packet of Maltesers. "Maltesers? Seriously? He's that kinda guy?" Robin questioned, nudging Eddie. "Yeah, it's his favourite." He said, turning back around and smiling. He shooed her away with his hand, as she grinned as if she knows something, then left.
Eddie sat on one of the stairs, and rested his head on the backrest of the chair, staring up at the ceiling. Eventually, he fell asleep.

- wc: 915 words