Cha. 001

The youngest master of the Wang household jolted awake on his bed at the sound of screams and garnish cries, followed by the clanging sounds of swords and other weapons. His eyes expanded at the flaming sight outside his door while the temperature of his chambers went higher and higher but the lad remained on the mattress, unable to move as he stared down at his bandaged leg.

If he had known something like this would happen, he would have never gotten himself injured to the point where he couldn't stand on his feet.

The screams and cries continued from outside his chambers; it was as if he had been forgotten. "Papa, mama!" He called softly, whimpering at the rising heat around him, sweat trickling down his forehead while he held back his tears. He was going to die without telling his mama, papa, and sister how much he loved them.

As if hearing his silent pleas, the door to his chambers finally busted open, slamming hard on the floor as it was torn down and a figure emerged from the fire. The young lad shone at his savior; his sister.

WANG DAIYU.

"Jie!" He hollered, watching his older sister speed towards him. She put down the wet cloth that covered her face and immediately wrapped it around his nose; trying not to inhale too much of the suffocating fog.

"Jie is here to get you out of here!" She told him and the lad happily nodded his head. She pulled him into her arms; luckily, he was light as a feather and so small that she had no problem carrying him.

The young Wang squashed his face in the crook of his sister's neck as they fled his room, hopping across the catching fire, passing the numerous dead bodies that lay there haphazardly; he recognized almost all of them—the people he once called family and friends.

"Don't look!" His sister's tenacious voice made him flinch; he immediately tore his gaze away from the corpses as he shut his eyes.

The fear-filled lad didn't open his eyes till he felt the heat vanish and a cold breeze brush against his cheeks, followed by the cries of his parents.

"Wang Yibo!"

The lad instantly opened his eyes and he found himself staring at his parents. "Mama, papa!" He cried out, and in the next second, he was in his mother's embrace. "I thought I lost you!" She cried, her eyes glued to the burning house in front of her—the place that held a lot of memories that could never be replaced. Everything was gone now, burned to the ground like dirt.

"We need to start moving before the imperial soldiers catch up on us!" His father chipped in, his face filled with cut marks while hanging low in his hand was a sword soaked with blood.

His mother nodded. "Come on!" She articulated and together, they ran through the shambles of the city, their home, towards the gate that would bring their freedom but the hope was short-lived when a horde of soldiers crashed into them, blocking their exit. His father didn't hesitate to swing his sword at anyone who approached them, clearing his path for the family.

"Go!" He shouted at them, the soldiers compiling around him. "Get out of here; I will hold them off and come find you!"