Cha. 012

Yibo didn't know what he had done but he felt like he had done something terribly wrong as he stood in the emperor's chambers, before the Emperor who had returned from his trip that lasted three days.

The emperor sat behind his study table, eyes fixed on a cup of tea placed in front of him while trailing his finger at the tip of it.

“I heard you have taken quite an interest in the palace training grounds,” the emperor began, then took a glance at Yibo while he continued to trail a circling path on the cup. “Made a new friend,”

His tone dripped with something Yibo had difficulty pinpointing. “You said I could do whatever I wanted. Did I perhaps do something wrong?”

Suddenly, his finger stopped moving. If Yibo hadn't done something before, he certainly must have done something now.

“I assume you will be keeping yourself occupied with getting yourself acquitted with the affairs of the palace,” Zhan was looking at him head on now. It unnerved Yibo at how dark his eyes had gotten and how his jaw clenched like he was trying to control himself from exploding in anger. “You like Xue Yang?”

Yibo frowned at the question. “He's friendly and teaches me his sword plays. He makes a fine military General, I like his company,” He retorted then flinched when Zhan suddenly slammed his palm on the table and shot him daggers through his dark eyes.

“You like his company?” The Emperor gritted.

Yibo stood unsure but gave a tiny nod that had the emperor bolting to his feet. Again, Yibo visibly flinched, then immediately bowed before the ruler. “I apologize if my words have offended you, Your Majesty!”

If he didn't know better, he would have thought the emperor was fuming with jealousy.

Zhan fisted the side of his robe, trying hard to control his breathings. “Since you have a lot of time on your hands to make friends and enjoy their company, perhaps you will enjoy having extra duties. You will be assisting the servants with cleaning the library and the courtyard from now on till I say otherwise. You are dismissed!”

Yibo wanted to ask about the crime that warranted this punishment but judging from the emperor's current temper, he would only be given more duties. “Yes, Your Majestic.” He bowed lowly then walked out of the emperor.

“You like Xue Yang, huh?” Zhan smirked. The General had no idea what was coming his way. Bloody bastard!

*~*

Yibo arrived with a brush at the palace library. It was a huge space with sections of book shelf and reports. He trailed his finger on the wood of a shelf and it got beautified with dust. This place hadn't been cleaned in a long time.

He never thought the Emperor could be this petty to punish him without a reason. Perhaps, he didn't like General Xue Yang.

“Aren't you the emperor waiting man?”

Yibo reeled his head to the left at the voice to find a boy barely a few years younger than him. Yibo nodded at the question.

“I’m Wen Ning, son of the library keeper,” he rubbed his hand as if nervous as he introduced himself. Yibo gave a nod of acknowledgment. “What are you doing here with a brush, shouldn't you be with the Emperor?”

“I was assigned extra duties,” Yibo answered flatly. The Emperor was a petty man and no one could change his mind.

*~*