Cha. 010

YIBO stood beside the Emperor who posed on his throne majestically and before him were his ministers that made up his court. The last time he was here, they were at his neck. Yibo remembered the horrendous experience exceptionally well but he didn't care as he stood passive.

“I've read your reports but I don't find them conceivable,” Zhan began, leaning forward and relaxing his elbows on his knees while his eyes danced across every face of his ministers. “You claim these attacks were carried out by vampires,” his tone was unbelieving but that had Yibo's attention.

If he wasn't listening before, he definitely was now.

A Minister strode forward. “It's hard to acknowledge it after living peacefully for so many decades but it's true, Your Majesty. Vampires haven't gotten extinct as we all were convinced,”

“None of us here have ever seen a vampire before. How can you be so sure these eyewitnesses weren't imagining things?” Zhan still polled in an unbelieving tone.

“The corpses of the victims were examined, it's just as the history books say; there was no droplet of blood in their veins and there were fang marks on their necks. The vampires are truly onto us once again," the minister responded, and whispers of panic emerged in the court but were swiftly drowned out when Zhan raised his hand for silence.

“There's no cause for panic just yet Minister. This matter will be investigated and if truly vampires are once again rising from their ashes, prepare yourselves for the worst. However, this matter will not go beyond this palace until confirmed, or you will be charged with treason," he declared with a certainty that no one questioned. “Let's proceed with something else,”

“The battle in the north has been ongoing for weeks with no fitting results yet General Jin Guangyao continuously requests resources.” The Minister of Finance spoke, and there were murmurs of agreement.

“His father's biased opinion sent him there,”

"He is too inexperienced to command an army."

The emperor's gaze focused on the minister of military and defense. “Minister Jin,” he called and the man stepped forward, saluting before him. "What are your thoughts regarding this issue? Truly, the battle in the North is never ending and General Jin Guangyao hasn't sent a satisfactory report to the court but makes demands for supplies,”

"Despite his youth, my son has shown himself to be a capable army general. The battle in the north has been a tough one but I assure you, Your Majesty. It's only a matter of time before it's won,” there was nervousness in his tone as he spoke.

“Send the edict. The war in the North is to be won in two weeks. Failure will result in the elimination of the Jin family from the imperial court. Dismissed.'' There was no room for argument as Zhan got off his seat and walked off the throne and the courtroom.

Yibo silently followed the emperor to his chambers. Zhan gave a motion to his robes and Yibo helped him out of his clothes, leaving him in his black inner wears and boots.

“You can massage, can you?”

Yibo nodded at the question thrown his way and again, the emperor motioned him to get closer and tapped on his left shoulder.

Yibo watched as the emperor took off his shoes and sat on the bed with his back turned to him. Taking a deep breath, Yibo tentatively moved closer and stood behind the emperor, placed his hands on his shoulders, and gave them gentle rubs.