Cha. 016

Yibo met up with Huaisang and Daiyu at their usual spot, under the full moon.

"Did you find anything?" Daiyu probed with readiness in her tone of voice and Yibo nodded yet he wasn't sure; he was quite unsure of what he was nodding to.

The night with the Emperor at the tavern was blurry; his brain had failed to remember anything else after one drink. However, he remembered the straggling pain that coursed through his body like everything in him was being sucked dry before his vision went blank and when he woke up, he found himself nestled against the Emperor's chest and the Emperor had tried to kiss him. Yibo felt a chilly feeling tour down his backbone as he recalled the way his eyes shone with lust.

"Well?" Daiyu's impatient tone brought him back to reality.

"There's a tavern at the center of the city, a woman reported it to be overspread with vampires; the emperor had already sent his guards to investigate."

Daiyu's eyes dilated. "This is perfect. We will visit the tavern right away,"

Yibo looked at Huaisang, waiting for him to share what he had as he lifted a brow. "What did you find?"

Huaisang slightly loured. "What I found out was a bit strange. Fortunately, I found the doctor; he was reluctant to share the tale but I got it out of him anyway." He looked like he was about to beat his chest proudly. Yibo rolled his eyes. Huaisang continued. "The doctor claims he never treated the late Emperor for his strange illness; indeed, he had gone to him but he wasn't able to find the cure because there was no cure; it wasn't something medicine could cure. After the late emperor left his place, he died soon after, and now comes the strange part," he said, looking at their faces. "The late emperor was buried with honor but a few weeks later he reappeared and claimed he was buried alive."

Yibo frowned, sharing a similar look with his sister. "Buried alive? The people wouldn't be that ridiculous to bury their emperor alive without making sure he was dead."

Huaisang nodded. "According to the doctor, the late emperor was properly confirmed dead before he was buried—it was a surprise to everyone that he reappeared and no one found it suspicious enough to investigate and he lived for another many years even before his son was born."

"What if he found a vampire and miraculously cured himself?" Daiyu suggested. "The late emperor was a frugal and selfish bastard; he could have done anything to make sure he lived longer."

"Likely. But it's strange. " Yibo agreed thoughtfully, then looked back at Huaisang when a thought traversed his mind. "The late emperor was buried twice. Huaisang, check his previous grave and I will check the current one. I need a confirmation. Let's meet again soon."