Cha. 015

There was never a tedious moment in court as another case of vampires was presented to the emperor in the imperial study. With curiosity, the Emperor inclined his body forward and gazed intently at the woman kneeling in front of him, reporting.

“This vampire showed up out of nowhere. Your Majesty, it was a vampire, I swear to life and death. I cannot be wrong.”

After dismissing the woman, Yibo escorted the emperor back to his chambers, whereupon he conceived the most absurd idea Yibo had ever heard.

"Perhaps we should go to this tavern for our sleeves." Zhan looked at him with a smile and an impish gleam in his eyes. “Just the two of us,”

Yibo looked at him like he had grown an extra head on his shoulder. “Your majesty, it would be dangerous to visit a tavern that could be a den for vampires alone.”

“Aren't you curious as to what a vampire looks like? It's tiring to sit here all day waiting for the guards to find something and report. Possibly, we would be lucky enough to glimpse a jinxed vampire.”

Yibo was curious to know what a vampire looked like; he needed to find one for his sister. He planned to visit the tavern the woman had mentioned earlier but he didn't expect the emperor to be this impetuous. “It is too dangerous and the guards won't let you leave the palace on your own. You are the Emperor. You should reconsider this, Your Majesty.”

Zhan grinned. "Who made any mention of alerting the guards? I believe I stated it would be the two of us. Let's have a drink. Return in two hours; we set out.”

*~*

Yibo knew it was a terrible idea the very moment he and the unexpectedly animated Emperor slinked out of the palace without any of the guards being mindful. And the moment they strode into the tavern, a feeling of aversion filled his stomach.

They pushed in through the creaky doors of the tavern. The dimly lit room was filled with the murmur of guests and the clinking of glasses, and the scent of ale was strong in the air.

A few glances were sent their way but no one paid them attention because who would predict the emperor—dressed in plain clothes that matched everyone in the tavern—to visit a lowly place like this?

It would be a falsehood to say Yibo wasn't amused to see the Emperor out of his element. He was dressed like a commoner and that was a sight that wouldn't come again in ages—Yibo bit back a smile.

“Gentlemen!” A waiter approached them. “Come in. Have a seat. What should I bring you?”

Zhan walked ahead, following the waiter, who took them to a table at the end of the room and they sat down on both sides.

“What should I bring you?”

Zhan surveyed the area; nothing stood out as unusual.

"Being your best wine and dishes," he remarked, but the server remained in place. Zhan gave him a naive glance. He might not have heard him. He opened his mouth to speak again but Yibo placed gold coins on the table—the waiter snatched them off the table and walked away.

“Even with your attire, you still look out of place, Your Ma-” Yibo immediately cut himself off and cleared his throat. “I still think it's a bad idea to come here alone. We could have at least brought one guard.”

“It's fine. I trust in your skills.”

Yibo had always known the young Emperor had an air of nonchalance around him but this foolhardy and impish attitude was new. No emperor, in their right senses, would come to a place like this unprotected.