Chapter 36: Retain Control

Steve raised his empty hand up and placed it on his forehead and squeezed at the new pain growing. Like Herobrine; he could see flashes of memories with the sentinel and the forced visions from the hero's influence almost made him black out, but he fought to keep his eyes on the distraught hero for his life was at stake. Passing out now meant that he probably wouldn't be waking back up, not a good thought to dwell on at the moment.

His mind's eye from the hero's point of view; saw the high guardsmen trying to reason with him about the choices he made, he saw the same sentinel in another quick vision trying to persuade the violent being to spare a man's life even though he injured the hero. And at last but not least, he knew the hero was jailed behind thick bars, completely motionless except for his head. Lionel seemed very upset and Steve almost couldn't believe it himself, so was the prison guard right about the killings? He was confused with the thoughts but at least a little light was shedding on Herobrine's past. Herobrine didn't feel as if he was pleased with his crime and this lead the miner to believe more in Lionel than the guard, though he always had a feeling that he should trust his ancestor to begin with.

The old hero seemed so sad and that was something that Steve knew what he felt lying on the floor staring up at Lionel, seeing everything from Herobrine's perspective. So much pain and sorrow hung over him, there was something inside he thought he would never feel in the old hero's place; pure sadness. Though it be a vision, Herobrine was hurt. Perhaps the killings was one big accident or possibly a crime framed on him? Steve had to consider the fact that there was a lot of evidence against Herobrine, so this accident or intended bloodshed whatever it may be; had happened and many people saw it to report it. Herobrine had killed in cold blood and in plain daylight, that was what the witnesses stated. Unless there was many people conspiring against him?

It only made sense that Herobrine wouldn't be sad if he had the intent of murder and carried it out, so why was he so upset then?

These new found thoughts with the memories made everything confusing for Steve and it really didn't help his headache, but he knew he still had to try and calm the powerful man or fight to the death. He really hoped to sway Herobrine's malevolent plan, except for the part of releasing Nigel, that he still wanted. The miner moved his legs forward towards the hero as he continued to clutch to his head from the painful migraine, the higher being still seemed to be distracted but was just as dangerous as usual. Maybe he was more dangerous in this crazed state? The miner inquired to himself.

He watched as Herobrine squeezed his head tighter and swing it back and forth with quick yanks, almost as if he was trying to fight away at his memories. Steve couldn't see any more flashes of the being's history but the pain was definitely still there, he removed his hand from his forehead and steadily approached the raging figure. The miner was cautious while holding the enchanted blade tightly, he was also extremely nervous and fearful but he couldn't show a weak approach. He had to be direct and brave no matter how much danger he was about to put himself through.

...

Herobrine had saw the miner wincing from pain and right then and there he knew his thoughts had been momentarily exposed, his weakness was shamefully shown. He mentally cursed his own power, but it wouldn't matter for the man before him was going to die soon anyways. The hero concentrated deeply on moving his focus away from his past, but every time he did a new memory would just appear in his mind, he shouldn't be out of control like this. Why was he loosing control? He snapped his head back and forth with the splitting ache; why was he having so much trouble controlling his own thoughts? Why was there so much rage growing inside of him? It was extremely frustrating. He hadn't lost control of himself like this since ... since then.

... ...

He shakily looked at the child wobbling towards him while holding the arrow that stuck out of his chest, globules of tears streamed down his pained face. "Oreh?" The child whispered, reaching a small hand out towards him. Even at such a traumatic time the boy had been so brave, instead of falling over and crying he sought help from the one he trusted most and Herobrine wanted to reach him.