Twenty One: Duty

"Can I ask you something?" Twilight begins, looking up at her mentor. Karianna stares at her vanity, watching herself in the mirror as she applies her makeup.

"You can, though whether or not I answer depends on the question," she replies. Valentine nods and takes a deep, nervous breath.

"Why do you always wear that necklace?"

Siren stops, completely still. The gold choker with a ruby embedded in it glistened in her reflection.

"I suppose it is time I told you..." She trails off, before continuing her makeup. "I trust you know how the Helmet of Fate works?"

"Of course."

"This is called the Gem of the Siren. It's sort of the same. Siren lives in this jewellery. I live in this jewellery."

Valentine looks up at her with a small amount of fear. "So then... your body isn't... yours?"

Karianna stops, placing her brush down. When she looks at her protege, she is grinning.

"Doesn't that just...terrify you?"

"W-Wait then whose body is it?" The white-haired girl panics, standing up and scrambling backwards towards the door.

"A friend of mine; lovely. But I don't understand your protesting. You all love Doctor Fate, and he stole the body of a known hero. This body was offered to me. A suicidal friend whom I did not want to die."

Nevertheless, Valentine portals herself out of there and into the warehouse.

~Hana~

I am woken up by a loud beeping that travels around the hotel room like a siren.

"What is that?" I hear Dick say from beneath me. I sigh heavily when I recognise the beeping as my ring.

Oh yeah. Duty calls.

"It's my ring. I was meant to meet the new Emerald Star at Oa an hour ago," I groan, pushing myself off of his chest.

Of course, despite the fact that I am Girl Lantern with impeccable fighting and agility skill... I fall straight onto the floor.

"Ow," I whine, sitting up. I hear Dick laugh, before he turns over.

"Will you be long?"

"A few hours. Duty calls, you know," I say, getting dressed.

"Okay; I'll be back in Gotham before you get back."

After slipping my ring on, I jump over to the bed and kiss him. "I love teaching new rookies. Some guy, but he must be good, since the ring chose him."

"A guy?" He mumbles as I near the window. I turn around to look at him.

"Yeah, no big deal," I say mindlessly as I stand on the sill. "I love you," I grin at him, before jumping out and flying up in the sky.

With my Green Lantern ring, I have much more protection from space. I form a spaceship out of the mana, before flying off to Oa.

It doesn't take that long, but when I get there, I am faced with anything but a warm welcome. Head Guardian is staring at me with a stern face.

"You are late."

"My apologies," I say with a bow.

"Your reason?"

"An interpersonal...distraction," I trail off.

He stares at me seriously for a while. "The boy."