15

Escaping the guards had mostly been Finn thinking on his toes and Clara's method of madness.

This part however involved so much more than that.

He needed to find a way over the wall and past the guards without passing out.

He had lost the guards and ditched the horse but in the process the wound on his chest had opened.

His breaths were often mostly shuddering messes and he didn't have the energy to stop it.

The guards on the wall would see him if he tried to get too close.

He needed an idea, he needed a distraction, he needed-

The sound of galloping horses approached and Clara came racing towards the main gates. Several horses followed each of the guards looking angry with her.

She seemed completely unphased.

The guards on the wall went rushing towards the main gate to see what was going on. Their attention was snagged and they were drawn to her arrival.

Finn made a mental note to thank Clara if he ever got through this alive.

Clutching his chest he ran ahead and began searching the wall for any kind of foot holes.

He just had to find a way over it.

When Finn had first arrived in Thelon it was a smaller wall, one just to provide protection if ever an attack came, but nothing ever did.

Not until Blaze attacked and took Clara.

Finn shook his head. Now wasn't the time for a history lesson. He had to get over this wall.

He was so close.

Then he spotted something.

A few holes, fairly far apart that looked like they had been there a long time. Perfect little foot holes.

"Finn."

He turned. Not really on the mood for a fight but instead he saw Cole.

"I can give you a boost." Cole explained gesturing to the wall.

"How'd you get here so fast?" Finn breathed.

"I know the woods pretty well." Cole explained squeezing his arm. "Let me help up."

Finn nodded and allowed Cole to boost him up, the foot holes he had found were perfectly spaced allowing him to slip over the edge.

"Cole, you're the best." Finn whispered.

Once at the top he crouched staying low as he made his way to the other side.

He glanced quickly over the wall and noticed a cart of hay at the bottom.

That was fortunate. A little too fortunate but he didn't want to question it now.

And it was something to land in.

As swiftly as he could he twisted himself over the edge. His abdomen burned and his head spun dangerously as he put his body under stress to achieve his goal.

Then he slipped. He fell down the smooth rocks landing in the back of a cart of hay.

He let out a quiet sob wishing the pain would leave. He wasn't finished yet.

He couldn't rest yet.

The streets were quiet as usual but things started to liven up when Clara came through the gates barking out orders like a general not a princess.

Finn would have laughed if he could.

Instead he got up, brushing hay from his hair before he drifted through the shadows like a injured rat hoping to find a place of shelter.