17

The time had come.

Finn gave an experimental tug to the chains binding his hands.

He wasn't sure if the coming pain would be monetary and brief or long and agonising. He probably deserved the second one.

At least Jess was safe. He knew she was alive and well and that was all that mattered.

At least she might have a chance to live a life she deserved.

And Finn would take the weight of his mistakes and he would pay the price. He had accomplished what he set out to do and for that he felt proud of himself.

Jasper had told him the help was coming, but he didn't hold out much hope for that. Jess was no doubt still too weak to do anything and Jasper was considered an old crackpot who the guards would instantly spot.

His only consolation right now was that at least the others wouldn't have to watch his head roll.

The wind was blowing gently stirring his hair as he waited. The wait was the worst part.

He could hear people, the people watching him as he is executed. The king and his guards, ladies and gentlemen of the upper class.

The upper class that he had glimpsed a few times.

The very idea made his stomach twist awkwardly. He wanted to curl away but he was too proud to do that.

He still had some reasons to hold his head up.

Even if it was just for his own sake.

Then a gasp and the shadowy figure of death next to him disappeared.

Finn's head snapped up to see Blaze, in his dragon form, lifting the guard that was with him, soaring far above the castle.

Finn blinked. What he had felt earlier wasn't the wind clearly.

"What?" He asked dumbly as he lifted his chained hands to point as if no one else had spotted it.

As if the panicking crowd and guards would answer him right now or even know themselves what was happening.

Clara appeared dropping a cloak from her shoulders and offering a smirk to him as she drew her sword. She snatched up his wrist and slammed the handle of her sword into the metal.

It jarred his wrists and made him wince but he was now free.

"What are you doing?" He asked as she hauled him to his feet.

"Saving your life." Clara said rolling her eyes. "I told you I wouldn't let you die."

"But-"

"If you think you deserve it then you don't." Clara smiled at him like she could read his mind. "Trust me Finn, you don't deserve to die for what you did."

Cole then appeared and offered a hand to Finn. "Get on."

Finn blinked. "Like on your back?"

Centaurs were very particular about who rode them, mostly because of the oppression that they had suffered many, many years ago.

Finn had always promised himself he would never ride a centaur and cause them any pain.

Cole looked to Clara. "Did they hit his head or something?"

"No idea." Clara shrugged punching a guard away without looking.

Finn fumbled. "I can run, I just-"

"Do you want to get out of here and escape death?" Cole asked, his eyes wide with worry. "Finn you're still injured, please let us help you."