18

"I can't believe you." Blaze admitted hitting the bars.

Finn didn't answer.

"I should have turned you to ash when I first met you." Blaze growled eyes flickering to Finn hoping for some kind of a reaction.

They had been down here in this cell for hours now and Finn hadn't moved, he hadn't said a word.

Just stared at the far wall emotionlessly.

"Probably." He finally whispered.

It was the first thing he had said since their escape attempt.

"They're going to kill us both." Blaze growled sitting opposite him trying to find his gaze, for some reason Finn didn't even register him. "Don't you understand that? Aren't you afraid of it?"

"Of course I am." Finn frowned his eyes clearing slightly. Enough to recognise that Blaze was sat before him.

"Then show it." Blaze growled. "Show it Finn!"

Finn must have been able to hear the frustration in Blaze's voice, it was evident that he really wanted something from him. And yet Finn didn't react.

"But-" Finn started then stopped, he frowned to himself. "I mean death comes to everyone inevitably so you know..."

"That's not what I mean." Blaze grit out.

"Where did Clara go?" Finn asked looking toward the door.

"She's been gone for hours." Blaze frowned. "Finn, you can't just turn off."

"Why not?" He asked and he looked momentarily confused. "What else am I meant to do?"

Blaze let out a long sigh and dropped his head into his hands. That was a question Blaze couldn't answer to his satisfaction.

Blaze knew they had to fight, they had to keep pushing and keep going. But here Finn was giving up entirely.

Finn was silent.

"I'm sorry about your sister." Blaze said into the silence. "I can't... I can't imagine what that felt like."

Finn shook his head his eyes glassing over. They almost glowed in the light of the lanterns. His eyes shimmering a bright gold.

Blaze shuffled closer to him. "Finn-"

It was then that the first tear escaped, many more followed and it was clear that he couldn't stop it. "Sorry." Finn whispered.

Blaze moved to sit next to him and clasped his shoulder tightly. "You don't need to apologize, your sister just died in front of you. Finn, I'm so sorry."

"Why? Why did she- I..." Finn shook his head dropping his head into his hands as an aching cry escaped him. "She had... Had her whole life- whole life ahead of her."

Blaze knew that he needed help and he really wanted to help the kid he had only known for three days... Or maybe it was four.

The kid that had saved his life and endangered it over the past few days more than any other being on the planet.

And so he pulled the human into his arms and held him tightly. He could feel how much he was shaking and wished he could take some of the pain away.

"It's alright, just let it out." Blaze encouraged rubbing his back. "Let it out."

So Finn did, he buried his face in Blaze's chest and he cried and cried.

Blaze didn't know Jess, he didn't even know she existed until the young woman had been planning Finn's rescue with them.