Prologue

Before the darkness. Before the pain. Before the death. Olivia never knew the trauma she would face. Out for a ride with her sister Emma, not expecting a thing. 'Bet you can't catch me!' Emma yelled as she sped ahead. The last thing she saw was the tail of Winterbelle, (Emma's Arabian horse) fading into the green trees of GoldenVale woods. 'hey!' she called out and raced in after her sister. Emma was far ahead, Olivia couldn't see her. Then a piercing cry shook the forest. Birds scattered. Olivia made a gallop straight to the sound, weaving through the trees, leaping over logs, Dream galloping as fast as she could. Emma lay helplessly, half-way down a cliff. She made a desperate scramble for the cliff face, Olivia hauled her up. Then Emma fainted.

Olivia took Emma, on the back of her horse, to the nearest stable to get help. 'I...feel...dizzy...' Emma said to the doctor, who hurried her inside. Olivia waited. Eventually, the doctor emerged. His face looked grim. 'She has a last request.' 'You don't mean she's going to...' the doctor beckoned her in, and she followed. 'Can...you...sing?' Emma stammered through sharp, shallow breaths. Olivia began to sing an old song grandma used to sing her to sleep with...

'just like the ivy,

on the old garden wall,

clinging so tightly,

what e'er may befall,

as you grow older,

I'll be faithful and true,

just like the ivy,

I'll cling to you.'

She sung through the tears she was holding back. Emma's eyes fluttered shut like hers always had. Except she would be sleeping forever.

'You didn't save her...' Olivia said quietly. Her voice began to rise to a shout, 'you didn't try!' something in her heart snapped. She began to back away, her eyes like fiery demons. As mad as she was at them, she was furious at her self. She hadn't found her quick enough, why was she letting her young sister ride in the woods? She stumbled over. This was the last straw. She had turned herself dark out of anger and pure malice. 'I'll set off a fire. Nobody will survive but dark souls, horses and people, living only to take revenge on people who spoiled their past. I'll haunt you forever!'