chapter 6

Avian gave her a thick animal skin dress, hat, gloves and boots rimmed with colourfull embroidery. Then he moved on to Spirit, giving him a saddle, bridle, blanket and leg wraps made of the same material. "Are you ready?" Avaian asked.
"Ready as i'll ever be I suppose..."
"Good luck daughter of Elsbeth," Avaian wished her. Ana hugged Spirit's neck and mounted. She clicked for Spirit to move and they were cantering for Elmsvale's mountains. Ana knew it would be a long, hard journey up the snowy-capped mountains. As she reached the foot of the first, closest mountain to her, she realised exactly how high they would be climbing. Spririt's hoof touched the soft ground of the mountain. They began the difficult climb.

After a while, the ground became stiff and frosty. The air became cold and the wind blew bitterly. Spirit began to struggle in the cold. Ana saw the entrance about 100 or more yards away from her. It was becoming hard to see in the blizzard-like wind. The tunnel was plated with ice and snow. At the other side was the valley of Frozendale, a humongous land of ice and snow. Ana looked around and dashed over the thick snow. Spirit grinded to an abrupt halt. Spirit's hooves were an inch away from a 60 foot drop. It had been lucky Spirit had stopped in time or they'd've been crashing down the drop. We need to find another way down, Ana thought, turning Spirit to the back again. She eventually found a ledge leading to another. "I hope you're good at jumping," Ana laughed. She nudged him into a gallop and jumped the ledges. They kept jumping every ledge until they came to a slope which Spirit casually trotted down tired after all the jumping. As she walked down the fire-lit walkway, she noticed a strange light ahead of her. She cantered Spirit towards the light. Where the light came from were blue lanterns, lighting the paths as far as the eye could see. Ana thought it was rather beautiful. She followed the lantern-lit path until she came to a curving path lined with a low fence. Spirit was struggling more, the cold weakening his incredible speed and making him stiff and rigid. I'll follow that path, I can hear some sort of tribal music playing, Ana thought.

At the top of the road stood two people. A brother and sister. Ana went up to them. "What do you want! Nobody ever dares to invade the land of us Jeylkers!"
"Pardon? I am the protector of the hotter lands and I have to get to icepeak's highest mountain to find the druids." The tribe didn't reply for a while, which gave her some time to take in their peculiar accents, and the wires objects surrounding her. Wicker baskets with different things in each... One had little white berries and nuts, another had little tufts of white fur, the fourth had crystals and pearls and the last had what looked like a large snow white chipmunk. There were horses standing around the baskets all under a woven roof.
"Well you're not going to get there on that horse! It quite clearly is suffering from the cold."
"I need somewhere to put Spirit and go on foot." Surprised by their reply, Ana didn't speak.
"On foot! You'll never get there without a hors..." The boy started but paused, hid head cocked to the side and his eyes widened.
"What is it?"
"What is your name?" The Jeylkers had frozen.
"Ana... Ana Smith." The Jeylkers' jaws droped.
"What is it?" Ana asked again.
"There is a ledgend... The girl called Anna Smyth comes to this land to save her own. She rode on a horse which began to suffer from cold and we Jeylkers take her in and give her a horse. The girl finds her mother who tells her how to defeat an evil witch from her land. The girl suffers and barely makes it out of this land alive and our horse carries her back to her land where she is nursed back to health by an anonymous monk-druid. Nobody has ever known his name."
"Avain..."
"Be prepared to fulfill your destiny. We will lend you our spare fjord. Trust him with all your heart for you know what the ledgend claims. We will bring Spirit to you after you are returned to Elmsvale."
"Thank you." One Jeylker led Spirit into a magnificent palace and the other handed her a fully tacked fjord.
"His name is Storm, be careful and good luck." Ana rode off into the distance, the Jeylkers watching her in worry, knowing what would come for her.