Chapter Sixteen

"When death takes my hand
I will hold you with the other
and promise to find you in every lifetime"

"I love you"

Technoblade froze at the words, standing still amongst the people dancing. His hands felt clamy and he began to sweat. Ophelia looked at him worriedly, not because he wasn't saying it back but because he looked as though he was gonna faint.

Technoblade opened his mouth to say something but the sound of glass breaking pulled their attention to the front of the room where king Vix stood, in front of a pile of shattered glass and a puddle of red liquid.

"POISON!" King Vix declared pointing at the mess in front of him. "WHICH ONE OF YOU FOOLS THOUGHT YOU COULD POISON ME" suddenly thoughts began to swarm Ophelia's mind as she remembered her and Ranboo's conversation earlier.

"I even went and found the mulberries!"

Mulberries...

"Ranboo no..." Ophelia whispered, starring at the liquid in shock. Technoblade looked over to her worriedly "Okay it's now or never princess" He said, grabbing her hand. Their plan had been thrown off, they needed to act and now.

"I am here to claim the throne as rightfully mine!" Ophelia said, running up to the scene and dragging Technoblade with her. King Vix turned to shoot her a death glare. "And just who might you be?"

Ophelia took off her mask and stood her ground, her eyes challenging. King Vix chuckled dryly. "My own daughter try to poison me?" Of course, he knew she wouldn't have done that, seeing as how that would take away her chance at the throne, but he needed it to do just that.

"Unmask yourself." he said turning to Technoblade. "I shall not." Technoblade quipped, voice calm and unwavering. "Why do you feel the need to mask yourself? To try to intimidate others?" King Vix said, walking closer to the pair. "No... it seems I've come face to face with the very man who attempted my murder. Guards!!"

"It wasn't him!" Ophelia said now jumping in between Technoblade and her father. "Oh and i should believe a traitor?" he said before calling for his guards once again. King Vix pulled a dagger  and placed it against Ophelia's neck while his other hand held her in place "And I suggest you don't resist your arrest." He snarled as Ophelia struggled against his grasp.

Technoblade's glare didn't falter as six guards came, taking him to the dungeon. By this time everyone had left in a panic.

Technoblade sat in a cell wondering what to do next. Their plan had failed miserably, how could Ophelia claim the throne when the guy she was supposed to marry had been accused of trying to murder the king?

The sounds of steps made him look up, only to be met with one of the guards, an axe in hand. "Sorry buddy." He said sarcastically  "looks like your time is up."

King Vix threw Ophelia to the ground. "Just how do you plan to take my crown?" He asked harshly, his eyes starring daggers into her. "I am marrying a god. By our laws when an heir to the throne makes a decision to sacrifice themselves for our people they shall be granted the throne, and all rights to move forward politically in any way they shall choose."

"Marry a god? Who?! The man who is sitting in a cell for an attempt at my very own murder?!" "We will prove his innocence! I will not rest until your rein in power is over" Ophelia spat, a look in her eyes showing she meant every word.

Yet King Vix just grinned. "I'd think again." He snapped, and a guard who was standing off to the walked up, handing him something before whispering in his ear. King Vix threw the item on the ground and it slid in front of Ophelia.

It was a mask. A pig mask. Techno's pig mask. And it was stained with splatters of blood.

Ophelia's mind began to swirl and hot tears stung her eyes as she felt faint. Carefully she grasped the mask in her hands. 'It can't be true' she thought, over and over again. Everything was meaningless without Techno. Not just the plan but her life, her future. She didn't want one if Technoblade wasn't by her side. She clutched the mask tightly and began to run, she didn't know where she was running to she just knew she had to go.

As Ophelia ran out of earshot the smug smile from King Vix's face quickly left "Find him." He demanded, angry fire fueling his eyes. "And don't let them get to each other."

Technoblade ran down the halls, desperate to find Ophelia. His hair was a mess and blood stain his clothes, he was without his mask but none of that mattered right now. They had tried to kill him. In return, they lost their lives. And surely, they'd try to kill Ophelia too.

Phil saw Technoblade and ran up to him "Hey! I just saw Ophelia running towards the roof is everything okay?" Technoblade waisted no time running towards the roof, or answering his question. Philza ran behind him, figuring everything was in fact, not okay.

Ophelia seemed to have spaced out while she was running, and only snapped back when she was standing on the edge of the roof, over looking the forest that was to the side of the castle.

Constant tears ran down her face and the wind pushed her hair and dress back. He was gone. He was everything to her and now he's gone and she blamed herself. The aching in her heart only grew with every passing second.

She couldn't live without him.

Technoblade threw open the door to the roof.

But he was too late. All he saw was a blurred flash of pink. Purple particles danced in the air before disappearing and Technoblade tried to run to the side of the roof before Philza tackled him. He looked at Phil desperately, tears falling, but Phil shook his said. "Im so sorry, but trust me mate, that's not a memory you want."

The saddest word in the whole world is Almost.

He almost confessed his love.

She was almost good for him.

He almost stopped her.

She almost waited.

She almost lived.

They almost made it.

1060 words.