Chapter 4

I had three days before work started and a whole week before classes. So I decided to make the most of them. 

First I called Kayden. She answered on the first ring and offered to pick me up. In twenty minutes she was there and I hopped in her little green car. 

Kayden grinned at me, "Gosh, I'm so glad you're back."

I laughed, "Me too! I've missed you... and going to Target." Kayden rolled her eyes and turned up the music. And then we were flying down the highway to stop at Dunkin before heading into the store. 

It felt like home a little more walking next to Kayden and looking at shoes and swimsuits that were too skimpy or too expensive. As always we tried on some ridiculous sunglasses and looked at the games we'd probably never play. 

An hour later, Kayden had to go to work so she dropped be off at home and left. I stepped back into the apartment, empty handed. 

It was the middle of the afternoon and there wasn't anyone home. In a few days, I wouldn't be home at this time either, but in that moment, I felt the weight of an empty room. The silence burned my ears. 

My emotions betrayed me in this way often, throwing me off guard for the things I thought I was prepared for. My mom wasn't here to say hello and ask how my day was. My dad wasn't around to start an argument. I couldn't go out to the barn to play with the ponies. It wasn't like I hadn't done this before. Every fall the move back to school felt this way. 

I closed my eyes, pushing away the thoughts that clouded my mind. I was here to work, go to school, and maybe have some fun. I would be okay. 

And thankfully, my highs were as high as my lows were low and not twenty minutes later I was baking cookies in the kitchen. 

Edward stepped into the room who knows how long lately and looked around at the mess I'd made. 

I froze with the bowl of cookie dough in my hand, "Hey."

Edward eyed me, "Hey." 

Then I realized my music was still playing at full blast and the timer was going off. I pulled the cookies out and set them on the stove before turning off my music, "Want a cookie?" 

Edward smiled, "Sure. You doing okay?"

I nodded, "Yeah, yeah I'm good, I just don't do well with being alone for too long with nothing to do." I held up the tray, "So thus, cookies." 

Edward shook his head, "There's going to be a lot of perks living with you, aren't there?"

I shrugged, "If you're talking about cookies, yeah absolutely." I side eyed him for a minute as he bit down on a chocolate chip cookie. "Anything else, you're outta luck." 

Edward gave me a half smile with his mouth full, "Yeah okay kid, whatever." 

I shook my head, "Shut up and eat these. I bake too much and then I can never finish them before they get stale." 

Edward raised another cookie, "With pleasure." 

***

The next day, I called up Leigh and asked if she wanted to grab coffee. I got a text back immediately and I met her at Starbucks. She grinned when she saw me, "You have no idea how happy I am to have you back in the city." 

I laughed, "You have no idea how happy I am to be back!" 

Even before we ordered, the gossip started. Which professors quit, who they might have hired, and just what I was getting into by working there again. 

Our coffee was gone long before we were. Leigh finally paused to take a breath and asked, "So when's your first day?"

"Monday," I shook the ice in my cup, "Yeah, I work eleven to eight every day and I'm in the weekend rotation." 

Leigh grinned, "Oh perfect, we can do our coffee runs during chapel, just like old times." 

I burst into laughter, "Gosh, it'll be like I never graduated." 

Leigh let out a little giggled, "I know! It'll be great!"