[00]

A/N: 📷 ©️: Pinterest

Prologue: The Brightest Star in a Ruined World
[☆]

[PARK Hanbyeol. She was the known as "The Brightest Star" in this ruined world. She was named as such not only because of her ethereal beauty that could outshine even the goddess of beauty herself. Ahem. But because of her fiery personality that could indiscriminately burn everything around her into ashes.

She also had this special aura around her that could easily attract anyone - like how all the planets in the Solar System continuously revolve around the Sun. Hence, her becoming one of Yoo Jonghyuk's most trusted companions was an expected outcome. In reference to her birth name, she became the protagonist's brightest star. His guiding light. The one and only beam of hope in this ruined world.]

Such words flashed on the screen of Kim Dokja's old smartphone. They were taken from a certain web novel entitled, 'Three Ways to Survive in a Ruined World'. His favorite novel.

"But, that's a story for another time." Kim Dokja thought. For what intrigues him at this moment was the character featured in this particular chapter. The most mysterious character to ever exist in this novel that calling her an enigma would be adequate.

Understanding her mentality and behavior was most of the time no easy feat. What Kim Dokja only knew was that Park Hanbyeol was a very pragmatic person, as evidenced of her former profession as a doctor.

But at times, her tendency to become suicidal would spring out of nowhere. No one really knew what was her reason for behaving as such. And unfortunately, the novel didn't reveal any essential information about her background, except for the fact that she was once a well-respected surgeon known both nationally and internationally before the end of the world.

Still, Kim Dokja liked her very much. He admired her perseverance when it comes to pursuing her dreams and goals. He also liked how most of her decisions and actions shown in the novel could be relatable in real life.

And of course, it was also because she was his type. As embarrassing as it may be, her features totally fitted Kim Dokja's ideal woman. Long and straight black hair that reached to her waist. Amber eyes that would sometimes turn golden against the sunlight. A well-carved long and straight nose and below it a pair of rosy plump lips almost resembling a newly bloomed red rose. And to complete her look, a slim body blessed with above average height.

Due to her figure, Park Hanbyeol was often times mistaken as a model by many people. But since she wasn't one to be conscious of the way she looks, she would only shrug them all off indifferently with her usual devil-may-care attitude.

Upon recalling her lovely appearance, Kim Dokja coughed and covered his blushing face with his free hand. The passenger sitting beside him, thinking that he was infected with some kind of disease, quickly scooted away from him. Noticing this, Kim Dokja became flustered even more.

It took him almost a minute before he finally regained his bearing. And to distract himself from imagining other things, he decided to resume reading the novel.

[Park Hanbyeol cursed herself for being an idiot. She wondered how someone as smart as her was easily enticed by a cheap bribe. She honestly thought that she would be able to pass this special scenario with flying colors. And yet, here she was, lying on her own pool of blood.