Chapter 2: The Truth

'This is it,' I thought.

This is how I die.

----- SURVIVIN' -----

I opened my eyes with the little strength I had left. In the prolonged time between my eyes weighing shut and me forcing them back open, the hurdling headlights had lurched to a stop right in front of me. I couldn't bring myself to react.

A tall figure rushed out of the driver's side of the car and over to me. They bent down and gently lifted me up to a sitting position. Then they wrapped what I believe was a coat around me. A second person came to their aid and together, they picked me up and loaded me into the backseat of their car. My consciousness slipped from me as the engine rumbled away from the alley.

====================

I suddenly jerked awake and sat straight up. That's weird - I've never done that before.

The room around me was unfamiliar. It had two beds and two nightstands, a TV resting on a small entertainment center, and a mini fridge in the corner. A desk was placed on the far left wall under the giant windows. Early sunlight streamed in through the glass and burned up the whole room.

Okay, don't panic, I told myself. This is obviously a hotel room. Remember last night? You're probably with whoever picked you up.

I took a breath and looked around. On the desk beneath the windows, a silver platter with matching cups sat. There were a few colorful specks beside them, but I couldn't quite make them out. I looked at the nightstand closest to the bed I woke up and my glasses were sitting there. I picked them up and put them on.

When I stood, my body felt like it weighed a million pounds. My stomach felt upturned. I groaned and walked over to the desk. The silver cups were obviously fake, but it's a hotel, so what do you expect? A dark brown liquid - coffee, I think - filled one of them. It was still steaming, so it was probably brought in here less that about 10 minutes ago. I took a closer inspection of the smudges on the sides of the platter. They were fingerprints, narrow and small, so probably a woman's. The colorful specks turned out to be creamer cups and sugar packets. To the right of the platter was a folded sheet of the hotel's stationary paper addressed to my name. I unfolded it - Marriott Marquis.

"Hello! Good morning! I hope you're feeling well today. Sophie and I found you in an alleyway last night and we decided to take you in for the night. Sophie left you some dry clothes in the bathroom. Oh, and brought you some coffee! I hope you like it. If you don't we can find something else for you. Be careful; it's hot. Whenever you're ready, Sophie and I are just in the next room (302). We would like to chat with you, if you don't mind.

Yours, Ben :)"

I almost smiled at the letter.

Wait, Ben? As in the same Ben as last night? As in Benedict Cumberbatch?!

Oh, God, help me.

I sat the note down and added two creams and two sugars to the cup of coffee while it was still hot. Then I opened the door to the bathroom and walked in.

There's a freaking couch in the bathroom.

Why is there a freaking couch in the bathroom?

I sat on the couch. It was nice. Silver leather was the material - what's up with this place and the color silver?

The pile of clothes sitting next to me was what I assumed to be the outfit brought up by Sophie. And when I imagined said outfit, I imagined something from her own personal wardrobe. I don't know, man - if I took in a random kid, I'd give them a spare change of clothes that I either didn't want or didn't need anymore. And if those two options were out, then I'd still give them clothes regardless.