Chapter 31: Upside Down

"Hello, Cal. Feeling any better?" She asked. I nodded. She smiled.

"Good. Now, who's ready to eat?"

========= SURVIVIN' =========

Motivation is a hard thing to come by.

Even now, as I'm lying in bed, trying to come up with words to put down on the page or the screen with nothing else going on around me, I can't seem to round up enough energy to put forth a good effort.

But I don't want to give up.

I've never committed to anything in my life. Never finished a project. Never been able to write "the end." Never knew about the post-credits scenes. But something in my gut is screaming at me to finish this.

And goddamnit, I'm going to.

(Lol can you guys tell I'm projecting)

It's currently 5:00 PM on December 31st, 2021. It won't be 2021 for much longer. And in exactly an hour, the annual Cumberbatch New Year's party will commence, and God knows how many people (such as celebrities) will pour through the door of our marble mansion.

"Darling, have you gotten dressed yet?" I hear Sophie ask from outside my bedroom door. My Spotify switched songs just in time for me to hear her question during the quick second of silence between them. As Jack Johnson begins to sing, I begin to think.

Who's to say what's impossible?
Well, they forgot this world keeps spinning
And with each new day
I can feel a change in everything
And as the surface breaks, reflections fade
But in some ways, they remain the same
And as my mind begins to spread its wings
There's no stopping curiosity

I want to turn everything upside down...

I smile and I don't respond to Sophie's question. Instead, I slip a notecard beneath the door with a big "YES" written on it in Sharpie. Then I begin to change out of my pajamas.

My party "suit" was a bit baggy yet still fashionable and very comfortable

My party "suit" was a bit baggy yet still fashionable and very comfortable. And functional; if I got to dancing at some point that night, it would certainly be an easily-achievable task.

I tried taming my messy brown hair but I just gave up when I realized that 1) it was futile and 2) the unkempt mess of it actually suited me. And since it was getting pretty shaggy, it added to the androgyny.

My head bobbed along with the song as I put on socks and exited my room. I just left the notecard on the floor, stepping right over it as I started down the first flight of stairs.