Chapter 40: Mr. Redundant

"Awesome!" I chirp. "I'm so happy for you! Who did you get adopted by?"

"Rodney."

========= SURVIVIN' =========

It took all of April to get Rylie's belongings moved into Rodney's flat. I was helping because, well, they're two of my best friends. Yeah, I know, there's so many I can't even count them all. But she was just as enthralled with his Handyman's Dreamworld as I was, and maybe even a little more. But the thing with that was Rodney had moved it; it was now in a closet. The extra bedroom had been completely emptied and refurbished for Rylie to live it. I don't know why, but that sent a particular sort of feeling through my chest.

Now that it was May, the weather was starting to warm up some more. I couldn't believe how quickly time had passed, but I was happy nonetheless. And whatever time Rylie wasn't bonding with her new father ('father' being a label that brought tears to everyone's eyes), she spent with me at our house. Or, y'know, vice-versa.

We really were becoming a family.

=

On May 1st, Ben called me downstairs because he had "something to tell me." Obviously, as I was making my way down the stairs, my heart was pumping blood harder than usual, and in all sorts of directions I didn't even know existed. He was sitting in the living room, Sophie next to him, and they already had their 'talking' faces on. However, there was a twinge of excitement in them.

Nevertheless, I was petrified. Yet I still came to stand in front of them and inquired as to why they had called me down and wanted to talk to me.

They're getting a divorce.

They're putting me up for adoption again.

We're moving.

Oh, God, I hope we're not moving.

"Cal..." Ben started. "You are about to have the experience of a lifetime. We, as your legal guardians, are required to inform and advise you about your upcoming endeavors. Are you prepared for your task?"

What the fuck?

"Um... sure?"

They looked at each other. Ben gave a slight nod. Sophie turned her head excitedly.

"We're going to the premiere of Ben's new movie!" She blurted.

I just stood there.

I mean, yeah, of course I was freaking out on the inside because whoa and also no, but I didn't really have any idea how to react to the news. I didn't know when that was happening, and I also didn't know how to process the information.

"Like, today." Sophie added. Her words jolted me out of my trance and I jumped into panic mode. Ben leapt off of the couch and held me still by my arms.

"Dude! Cal! Chill!" He said. "She means we're going to the airport today, in two hours. We won't go to the premiere until sometime tomorrow."

"Oh."

Wait — airport. Fuck. No! Shit.

"So if you could kindly go and pack a suitcase for the week..." Ben prompted.