Chapter 2 1/2: Diner

Dani's POV
After school we head over to a diner called the lodge, where we promised to meet Charlie for dinner.

A sirloin steak is set in front of Charlie. He shares a table with all of us. The waitress, CORA, a African-American woman in her 30's with pouty lips and curly black hair. Serves us with a warm and motherly aura that I've only ever felt around Ella.

She beams at us as she sets a plate of cod in front of her. Several loggers at the counter offer us welcoming smiles as we sit near Charlie. I place a hand on Mika's shoulder as they shrink into their seat at the attention. Charlie's oblivious.

"Can't get over how grown up you four are! And so gorgeous!" Cora states. I see her looking back and forth between Bella, Ella, and Charlie. I glance at Charlie, who keeps his eyes on his steak with a flustered expression. I smirk as my inner wingman begs me to set them up.

Before I can say anything a familiar looking bearded, hippy logger in his 50's appears behind Cora, leaning over her shoulder to peer at me. I immediately feel uncomfortable by his gaze and the fact that he reeks of alcohol. "Member me, honey?" He asks me.

I shake my head and Ella places a protective arm in front of me as she glares at the unidentified male. Mika clings to me feeling scared and protective. Bella on the other hand eyes they man up and down in deep thought.

"Waylon, she hasn't seen you since she was six months old" Charlie snapped instantly I know who this is. My biological father, Waylon Forge. Waylon sneers at Charlie and spits out "It wouldn't have been like this if you weren't an insecure and selfish bastard" "That's enough Waylon! Let the girl eat her cod with her family" Waylon looks like he's about to argue but a few of the loggers stand up threateningly and he scowls before storming off.

Cora turns to us and says "When you're all done, I'll bring your favorite - berry cobbler. Remember?  Charlie still has it. Every Thursday" Ella smiles and says "That'd be great, thank you" Cora smiles and walks off. Left alone now, Charlie and Ella both reach for the salt, knock hands. Ella gives her dad a smile then goes for the ketchup instead. Silence as they eat.

A burst of laughter from a nearby happy family only serves to emphasize the discomfort that Bella feels as dinner is usually when she talks nonstop with Renee. Ella decides to speak "So... you eat here every night?" Charlie responds with a shrug "Easier than washing dishes" "I can cook" Ella says making Charlie look up, as if confused by the concept.

I pipe up and say "Ella does the cooking at home - in Phoenix. Mom's not great in the kitchen. She's teaching Mika and I as well" Charlie chuckles and says "I remember.." We all laugh -- except for Bella who glared at us—- as we recall some especially bad dinners.

"How was school? Meet anyone?" Charlie suddenly asks us. Ella answers first "A few people..." and Bella continues "Do you know the Cullen family?" This makes Charlie look up sharply "Are people talking about them again?" Ella immediately tries to defuse the tension "No!" But Bella opens her mouth again "Well, a little...."

Charlie scoffs before going on a rant "Just cause they're newcomers. We're lucky to have a surgeon like Dr. Cullen at our podunk hospital. Lucky his wife wanted to live in a small town. Lucky his kids aren't like a lot of the hell-raisers around here!" Ella places her hand on his arm and soothingly rubs it "... Okay" Charlie sighs and says "I just don't like narrow mindedness" and he returns to his food. Silence.

We exchanged looks.

Ella's POV

I look out at the fog as Bella talks on speakerphone "If spring training goes well, we could be living in Florida permanently" Renee says on the phone before she's interrupted by a telephone operator "Please insert 25 cents to continue" I snicker ...

I look out at the fog as Bella talks on speakerphone "If spring training goes well, we could be living in Florida permanently" Renee says on the phone before she's interrupted by a telephone operator "Please insert 25 cents to continue" I snicker as Bella asks "Mom, where's your cell?"

"Renee talks on a pay phone, her dead cell phone in her hand. In the background Phil and an Attendant work on the Subaru engine "Ok, I didn't lose my power cord. It ran away. Screaming. I literally repel technology now" Renee jokes.

Bella smiles, missing her mom. Renee feeds the phone quarters "Now, tell me more about your school, baby. What are the kids like? Are there any cute guys? Are they being nice to you?" Renee fires off concerned for her 'darling daughter'.

I don't even have to look at Bella to know she's thinking about Edward Cullen, and if I'm being honest I haven't stopped thinking about him either. "They've all been really...welcoming" Bella says halfheartedly I look over and see that she's
getting mad all over again. She glared at me as if it's my fault that Edward doesn't care for her.

"Uh, oh. Tell me all about it" Renee says "It doesn't even matter" Bella scoffs looking away from me "Yes, it does, honey" Renee argues and Bella quickly changes the subject "I have homework to do. I'll talk to you later" Renee reluctantly says "Okay. I love you" and Bella replies "Love you, too" before hanging up.