Chapter 11: Waylon is dead

Ella's POV
Edward's Volvo speeds along the two lane highway. I glance at Edward, might ask him more questions but he seems to be wrestling with his own thoughts.

My attention shifts outside to the flashing police lights. As we drive past the Forks police station, a sheriff's car pulls away. Charlie's cruiser is still parked out front "Dad's here late. Something must have happened" I say concerned and Edward pulls in.

The Volvo parks and Edward and I climb out. Edward then sees a second car next to the cruiser "That's my father's car. What's he -- ?" Edward starts only to be cut off by a pool of light, as the door opens revealing distressed Charlie and Dr. Cullen studying photographs and evidence. Dani, Mika, and Bella all stand in the background.

Mika looks nervously and anxious, Dani look numb and indifferent, while Bella looks suspiciously at Carlisle.

As they wrap up their discussion, Dr. Cullen puts a sympathetic hand on Charlie's shoulder, then exits the police station looking grim. Sirens are going off in my head and I instinctively reach for Edward's hand and squeeze it, seeking comfort as my anxiety rises. Edward squeezes my hand back reassuringly and says "Carlisle. What happened?" Catching Carlisle's attention "Waylon Forge was found in the woods out near his place. I just examined the body."

Edward darkens and I freeze horrified "He died? How?" I managed to choke out as realization dawns on me "Animal attack" Carlisle says "The same kind that killed the security guard down in Mason?" I asked. Edward and Dr. Cullen trade a look, subtle, but I catch it "Most likely" Carlisle says nodding. I squeeze Edward's hand tighter "So it's getting closer to town....." I mumbled. My fear and anxiety rising 'How am I supposed to protect Dani and Mika?'

"Waylon lived all the way down on Queets River. 75 miles south" Edward argues and rubbed circles on the back of my hand trying to soothe me "But that's-" I started only to be cut off when Carlisle says with a kind, reassuring smile "Ella, you should go inside. Waylon was your father's friend and half brother" I blinked and nodded "And Dani's biological father..." I looked at my sister to see her staring blankly at a wall.

I managed to push my anxiety to the side and focus on my family who need me right now. I go to the door, but look back to see them conferring quietly, gravely. Clearly, there's more to this. I sigh and enter.

Dani's POV
I break out of my thoughts when the door opens and look up to see Ella enter looking concerned only to find a distressed Charlie studying evidence, photos, maps --trying to make sense of Waylon's death. While we sit off to the side, beside ourselves.

Deputies come and go in the background as Ella approaches Charlie. He looks up "Dad, I'm sorry about Waylon" "Known him my whole life...he's my big brother and I..... I pushed him out of my life because I was jealous and hurt..... I just couldn't forgive him" He's obviously torn up. Ella glides over and pulls him into a hug. Charlie buried his face into her chest and I can see his shoulder shaking. He's crying.

Ella rests her head on top of his and rubs his back. He takes a few minutes then manages to recover. He pulls away and looks at Ella then at the rest of us. A look of determination appears on his face "We'll get to the bottom of this, kids, but in the meantime..." As an ambulance pulls up outside, he opens a drawer, finds out a couple canisters of bear pepper spray "... I want you all to have one of these on you at all times."

Ella being the concerned motherly person she is protests ""That's probably not a good-" Charlie cuts her off and says "It'll give me some peace of mind" she sees he needs this, and unable to deny a man in grief she hesitatingly allows him to put the pepper spray into each of our bags. Ella then gathers us and ushers us out as Charlie goes to get his coat, before we step out however Ella pulls me aside and asks "Are you okay?" I shrugged and said "I barely knew the guy. Charlie and Phil are more like fathers to me" I then step outside, only to see two Attendants hoist a metal gurney into an ambulance. On it, Waylon's dead, white, bloody bare feet peek out from under a sheet, resting at a disturbingly unnatural angle.

Tears prick my eyes and bile rises in my throat, but I managed to force it back as Ella and Mika exit. Bella shoved past us and bolts for the front seat as Charlie steps out as well. I take a deep breath and walk over to the cruiser with my head bowed.

'Should I tell Ella that I've been contacting Waylon since we've moved to Forks?'