ғɪғᴛʏ

December 12th, 2021

December 12th, 2021

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

The time had come. The moment the entire F1 world had been waiting for. The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The moment when it would be decided whether Max would become world champion for the first time or whether Lewis would win his record-breaking eighth. All the effort and energy everyone had put into the season would be expressed during this race. All eyes were on the two drivers. Nothing else mattered anymore. And they were ready, born ready.

Madelyn had not slept very well the past few nights. Nerves ran through her body more than she would've liked. But she had to keep her head high for Max because he needed her. He was the one who really should've been nervous, but it didn't seem that way. Max was calm and tackled this weekend the same as all weekends because that worked for him. Madelyn tried to support him where she could but knew she also had to let him do his thing. That was where he was best at.

Step one of the weekend was successful yesterday afternoon. Max had taken pole position with the help of Checo, which was hugely important for today. Lewis started next to him, though. It was essential to have a good start when the five red lights went out later this afternoon.

It seemed like the whole world had come to Abu Dhabi to watch the controversial final up close. The paddock was filled with more celebrities than ever. Madelyn saw faces she had never seen before and assumed they were just here for the spectacle but otherwise had no idea about the sport. Attention was all that mattered to them.

Madelyn only had attention for one person, and that was Max. She sat on Max's physio bed, watching as he got ready for the race of his life. He was already dressed in his racing suit and sat in the chair in the corner to put his shoes on. Madelyn had put her hands under her legs, wiggling them nervously back and forth.

"Can you stop that?" Max asked, chuckling, as he looked up while tying his shoelaces. "Sorry," Madelyn mumbled and tried to keep her legs still. Max got up after he was done and stood in front of her.

"I'm starting to think you're more nervous than I am," he chuckled as he slipped his arms around her middle. "I probably am," Madelyn confessed. "I'm starting to think you're not nervous at all."

"Trust me, I am," Max smiled. "I'm just doing a better job at hiding it. Never show your enemy that you're afraid." He shot her a wink before he leaned in to kiss her. Madelyn cupped his cheeks with her hands as she tried to pull him as close as possible. She deepened the kiss, trying to give him all the luck in the world. He could use it today.

They got interrupted by a couple of knocks on the door. Groaning, Max pulled back from their kiss. "Not now!" He yelled to the person on the other side of the door, which caused Madelyn to laugh.

"What?" Max turned his head back to Madelyn. "I can do what I want today," he shrugged and was about to reconnect their lips when the door swung open. Jos walked in and was a little shocked at the vision of his son and the press officer together. Madelyn tried to push Max away as soon as she saw Max's dad in the door opening. Jos raised his eyebrows at the two people in front of him. Then, his surprised face slowly turned into a grin.