Chapter 6: Road

Healer Cookie was certainly an obstacle for Roommate Cookie and (C/F) Cookie to plan around. He'd always have an excuse to hold them up in the Village—whether it be the time of day or sporadically wanting to check on (C/F) Cookie's injury. Basically, the two were stuck until they could have absolutely no excuses to stay.

Roommate Cookie didn't seem to notice, but Healer Cookie hated it when they referred to their companion as "(Y/N) Cookie" and many times he had mumbled about that not being their name.
He also preferred (C/F) Cookie only refer to him by their nickname, Orchid. Just hearing them say that could usually de-escalate any situation with him; but only when they said it.
Many Villagers found it odd, but no one was going to ask.

Actually, some of the Villagers didn't want the two to leave either. Roommate Cookie is really good with the kids and a real moral booster; many of the Cookies viewed (C/F) Cookie as their silent, fearful shadow, but Roommate Cookie always made it clear that they were going to leave together as soon as they could.

But a week of random excuses was turning into an entire moon of random excuses and both Roommate Cookie and (C/F) Cookie agreed that they didn't want to be anywhere near the Village or the portal on the next full moon.

"How are we supposed to leave when literally no one wants us to?" Roommate Cookie asks.

"At least you don't get bothered in the middle of the night..." (C/F) Cookie shudders.

"He's been what?"

"It's not that big of a deal..." They stare intently at Healer Cookie's tent. They're glad they can see him talking to some of the Villagers, but they know he's glancing over to make sure they don't leave while they think he's preoccupied. They know how easily he can excuse himself from a conversation...

"No, he's been what?" Roommate Cookie persists.

"I don't know who's listening. He assumes you don't know the full story, you can't confront him about that..."

Roommate Cookie pauses only momentarily before asking again, "He's been what?"

"You're not going to let this go, are you?"

"What has he been doing?"

"...Cuddling mostly. It would probably be nice if it didn't remind me of the time he shattered my hand, or the time he—"

"I don't need you to list every traumatizing thing he's done to you..." Roommate Cookie cuts in, "Have you ever woken up with him there?"

"No, I've been having pretty bad nightmares again, so he usually comes over after I wake up from one..." (C/F) Cookie admits.

"Wake me up when you have them. If you don't want him near you, then don't let him get near you."

"I would, but he does get aggressive when he feels his possession of me is threatened."

"Jealous child type or..."

"Define "child type"..."

"Like a "this thing is mine and they can't have it" or like a "what are you doing that's mine!"..."

"Hmm... He'd get angry with the retainers for talking to me for more than necessary, and he'd get angry with me if I was the one trying to keep the conversation going. I almost tricked one into helping me escape by requesting things constantly... I got them to take me out to the front gates and I almost managed to make a run for it..."

"Did he catch you?"

"No, I tripped and the poor retainer panicked, realizing what I was trying to do and knowing how happy he'd be if he found out what happened."