Chapter 12/Part 3: Revenge

Bobby's POV:

Ugh. I wish I didn't promise Mrs. C I'd help her with Spike's birthday cake. I don't even wanna be here. I don't like Spike. I don't wanna make him a stupid cake. But since I have to, and I don't wanna hurt Richie, at least I can sneak in some super special (and secret) ingredients. Thankfully, Richie went upstairs to get ready for the party. And it took some waiting, but finally Mrs. C let me be alone in the kitchen while she went to go grab a new dish rag from the closet. Success. What I did was dump the bottom half of Mrs. C's potted plant that was on the window sill into the cake batter in the bowl. I put so much in that Spike should definitely taste it, but it looks a lot like chocolate cake, so no one should see it. And then I put in some ketchup and pepper. This is gonna be so awesome when Spike eats it! I'm so happy Mrs. C didn't notice.

Fonzie's POV:

Geez, I leave Bobby unattended for 2.5 seconds, and he goes to hang out with Richie. Good thing little Joanie told me, or I'd be frantic. It seriously wasn't that big of a deal even. Why would Bobby be so dramatic over this? Spike deserves his time in the spotlight. He hasn't gotten this sort of attention in his entire life. Bobby needs to learn how to share and treat his new bro with respect. Man, I love that kid, but I can't coddle him no more. It's only gonna make him be more reliant on me instead of in charge of himself and independent. Sure, he's still sort of young, now only nine, but I was pretty much on my own by age ten. He can manage. I did. Hopefully he gets along with Spike at the party. I just want one day with some peace. Is that too much to ask?

Richie's POV:

So, party's now about to start. Once Bobby and Mom were finished preparing the cake and the dining room, I made it a point to take Bobby under my wing and make sure that he behaves himself. I can tell he's not excited to be here, and I want to make him feel included, but he needs to at least try to make some effort with Spike. Spike is his honorary brother now. When everybody's settled in their seats at the dining table, Fonzie gives me this strange look and nods sideways, indicating he wants to speak with me in private. I wonder what this is about? I follow him out of the room and down the hall, out of ear shot.

"Hey, what's up, Fonz?"

Fonzie sighs and gives me a long face. "Look, I appreciate you being there for him, but you gotta realize that he's gotta start fending for himself. And don't go, 'but he's only nine, Fonz.' It won't work. The kid's gotta face the facts–it's not all about him. I'm talking about Bobby of course, in case you didn't figure that out. Does that make sense?"

It's my turn to sigh. "Yeah, I get that, Fonz, but..."

Fonzie is getting impatient with me. I can tell. "I knew there'd be a 'but.' But what?" He asks.

I raise my eyebrows and lean in to help me get my point across, somehow. "But Bobby is a little sensitive right now. A little raw. He's used to you being his only parent, and him your only child. You've been inseparable. He's just worried and scared that he's going to lose you. And you have to be there for Spike right now, when he's vulnerable and has nobody. I get that. So just let me be there for Bobby while you do that, okay? Please."

Fonzie concedes. "Alright, but Bobby has to at least try to participate today. Please don't let him only associate with you. He's gotta mingle. I'll try to encourage him to talk to Spike and others too. Maybe with both of us working him, he'll come around."

I smile reassuringly. "Yeah, I hope so. But maybe give Bobs a nice hug to make him feel like you're not mad at him? He told me earlier that he feels alone."

Fonzie smiles back. "Sure thing. That I can do."

Whew. Glad that worked out so well. 

Before we sit back down, Fonzie does as I requested and squeezes Bobby. I can tell Bobby appreciated that, even though he wouldn't admit it. 

We then fly through dinner without much of a problem, thankfully. Sure, I admit that it took me prompting Bobby to say hello to Spike, but at least he cooperated. I am serious about making sure he at least keeps the peace. That's a must. The rest–his little attitude he cops and the pouting–that I have no qualms about. I understand it's gonna take a while to adjust and start trusting his new brother. Bobby glances up at me when we get to dessert and Mom starts singing "Happy Birthday." I can tell he's starting to lose his self control with the way his little fists tighten and his legs swing. I tap his knee to remind him to relax. He does try.

Bobby's POV:

Gah, I hate Spike. Spike is sitting next to Daddy on the other side of the table, and Joanie is sitting next to them. He's so proud of himself, looking like he might just float away above our heads and brag that he can see the world from up there while we're down here. He's always acting like he's the boss and that he's so much better. I don't get it. He's so good at acting cool and all grown up that even Joanie likes him. She laughs at all his jokes. Joanie hasn't even talked to me once since we sat down. And Daddy has only waved and hugged me, then gave the rest of his attention to Spike pretty much this whole time. When everybody starts to sing, I make sure to stay super quiet, even when Richie stares at me. I can tell he's mad, but I don't even care. Daddy doesn't care that I'm not singing. Why should I?

"Bobby, c'mon," Richie whispers. "Chin up. Be a good sport." Richie tries to hold my hand, but I take it back. I'm not little no more. Everyone needs to see that. I frown but I nod my head so he stops bugging me.

Then we get to the main event. The cake! I'm super duper excited!

Mrs. C stands up and brings the chocolate cake from the fridge to the table in front of Spike. Spike looks at it like he's never seen a cake before. Weird. "Wow, thanks guys. This is my first birthday cake," Spike says. Mrs. C puts the candles inside it and lights them. "Why are you putting candles on it? Do I eat the candles too? I guess not unless you want me to burn my mouth. Or swallow it like those circus people do."

Daddy's eyes go wide, and he laughs. "You've NEVER seen a birthday cake before? Not once? Never even at a friend's birthday party?"

Spike shakes his head. "Nah, is that a bad thing? I just never got around to it. I got invited once to a party, but my parents were too busy to take me. Besides, we couldn't afford to get a good present anyway. It wasn't worth it."

"Awe, that's so sad," Joanie groans.

Everybody goes quiet for a minute. Wow. I can't believe Spike has never had birthday cake before. Darn. I feel sort of bad now for ruining it for him. I hope he doesn't kill me.

"Well, Spike, to answer your first question–birthday candles are so you can feel special on your birthday, make a wish, and blow them out. No eating them, please. We don't need you going to the hospital now, do we? And don't say the wish out loud, or it won't come true," Mrs. C says as she winks at Spike like they have some sort of secret.

"Oh," Spike says and winks back. He thinks he's so cool. It's funny though when he blows out the candles because his spit flies all over the cake. I sort of laugh but Richie glares at me, tapping my leg again. He's getting annoying. At least Spike's spit gives me a cover up for why I won't eat my slice, instead of the whole dirt thing.

"Ew, gross!" Joanie says, laughing. She thinks it's funny too. 

"That's rude, Joanie. Pipe down," Mr. C says. Mr. C's always so quiet until he has to tell someone off. So grumpy sometimes.

I squirm in my seat as Mrs. C hands Spike his slice. Oh boy. This is gonna be interesting.