Chapter 28

Bet you thought I'd taken my Christmas break didn't you?  Did you miss me? 

No. I'm always here within these very walls, watching...waiting...and the amount of tea that I could spill would put the Atlantic ocean to shame. 

I'm going to be needing a larger cup to see in the New Year, no glasses to raise here. 

Whilst our Mr Rogers was doting on his little maid, Mr Barnes and Miss Romanoff were also jingling some bells behind closed doors. I know for a fact that they plan to see in the New Year with a literal bang. 

Tonight there is a very classy party happening in the ballroom. 

And no, that is not a euphemism. Did I not tell you that this hotel has one of the grandest ballrooms in the city? These walls have seen in many a new year, weddings, birthdays. You name a party and it's been held here. Apart from the most scandalous, those ones have not happened for decades. 

To celebrate another year of success, the staff party is being held in the ballroom for those who dwell upstairs. The downstairs have their own, it is only for an hour or so and shifts are rotating throughout, meaning that business can still continue while everyone will get their share of the fun. 

And boy is the champagne flowing already. 

How very Gatsby. But I suppose that Mr Rogers should be hailed the Gatsby of his time. That's what people in the upper circles of New York's society say anyway. 

Eligible bachelor

Lavish lifestyle. 

And yet still no wife on his arm? 

Many women within the rich circles that Mr Rogers walks have been throwing their daughters under his nose for years, and yet he continues to turn a blind eye. 

This year shall be no different, unless he decides for himself that now is the time to place a ring on a lucky woman's finger. 

I suppose we should not hold our breath, but Steve Rogers is always so full of surprises. 

**

Mercy looked at the clock. 

Ten PM.  

Everyone who had the privilege to be invited to the New Years Party was sipping champagne and getting ready to see in another year. 

Steve was in his office, not planning on attending the celebrations. He'd said that Mercy could go along if she wanted to, even leaving something special for her to wear on her bed. 

She was yet to find it. 

Now she stuck her head into his office. "Will you be coming downstairs?" 

He shook his head, staring at his laptop screen. "You go enjoy your evening, you've earned it". 

She walked further into his office and closed the door. "You should come, even if it's just for five minutes".  Mercy saw his look. "You truly expect me to go alone when so many upstairs staff look down on me as though I still dwell downstairs?"

"They don't..." 

"They do. I don't need their approval, but I'll still feel out of place". 

Shutting his laptop lid, he rose from his chair. "Five minutes, go and get changed". 

She looked at her uniform. "I thought this was acceptable considering..." 

"There is something in your room for you - wear it". He commanded gently and headed out to pour himself a drink whilst he waited for her. 

Mercy opened the lid of the box that was on her bed and pulled out a champagne dress, realising that it was the very same that the figure skater was wearing on the Christmas display in the foyer. 

Slipping it on, it fitted like a glove, shaping and flattering her body. She'd never worn something as expensive as this, let alone owned a garment of such elegance. "Wow..." She breathed, taking a long look at herself in the mirror. 

Pulling her hair tie from where it held her hair up, she watched her locks fall around her face. 

She emerged from her room, Steve doing a double take at the sight of her from where he was leant against the bar sipping his whiskey. "I shouldn't wear this...It's beautiful, it really is but..." 

"But you're worried that people will simply think you're playing 'dress up'" Steve knew exactly what she was going to say. "As soon as I saw that dress on the display I knew you'd look like perfection in it, and I was right, fuck what anyone else thinks - you've earned the right to wear it". 

He offered her his arm and she slipped her own through, both of them heading downstairs to the ballroom. 

Mercy didn't look at anyone as she walked in, but could feel the stares from all who now looked over at their boss entering the room. "Everyone is staring". She whispered. 

"Let them..." Steve replied.

Bucky now walked over to the pair and looked Mercy up and down. "Miss Pentland, you look nice this evening". 

"Thank you Mr Barnes..." She replied quietly

Steve threw a look to his friend. "I think Miss Pentland had earned a break from her duties". 

"I dare say she has pal, takes a saint to serve you..." Bucky's eyes went back to rest on Mercy. 

Ignoring his friend's comment, Steve now changed the subject. "I'm not staying long, too much work to get done". 

Bucky looked back at the staff who were mingling, laughing, drinking. "Well they're having fun. They know how busy you are". 

"Can I get you another drink Mr Barnes?" Mercy now offered. 

"Whiskey on the rocks, there's a good girl". He replied as Mercy now walked past him. He turned back to Steve. "Bringing your maid to the party? Is that a wise move?" 

Steve sighed. "I don't need a lecture". 

Before he could say anything else, Mercy returned and passed Bucky his drink. "I thought an extra shot may help you loosen up". She told him innocently, all the while inside knowing that her presence was annoying him greatly. 

She knew she shouldn't be here. That she didn't belong. It was clear from the looks, the whispers. The definition of social divide. 

"I've just remembered I need to sort out the lunch for tomorrow. Have a good evening Mr Barnes, and happy new year".  She nodded to Steve and headed for the doors. 

Steve looked at Bucky, ignoring his friend's earlier words and smiled. Nothing or no one was going to change his mind on this. "Have a good evening Buck". Then following Mercy out and joining her at the elevator. He leant into her ear. "As soon as we get back upstairs? I want you to go to my room and wait for me there. Keep the dress on, it deserves seeing some action in private tonight".