Chapter 17 - Child

"Please calm down my love, you've been walking back and forth for almost an hour."

"I'm just nervous, forgive me."

Donna sighed softly and got up from the sofa where she'd been sitting with Angie and coloring for the past hour. Unlike Laika who had been pacing around the living room and trying to calm her nerves, she found coloring to be a pretty good way to release any negative thoughts or emotions.

The doll groaned in annoyance when the Lord moved, making her porcelain hand slip and color over the lines. Nothing too serious, but it caused her to smack the pencil on the book and raise her arms up angrily.

"Well damn!"

"Angie, language please!"

With a light chuckle, the maiden watched Angie roll her eyes and continue on as if nothing happened. Donna shook her head at the doll's behavior before walking over to her lover and wrapping her arms around her neck, causing Laika to wrap her own around her Lady's waist and hug her.

Donna was very warm to the touch, and the blonde couldn't help but close her eyes and take in the comfortable warmth that seemed to soothe her mind.

"Mother Miranda will be here any minute now, don't worry."

"I know darling but they are late. She said 6pm sharp and that passed an hour ago."

"I'm sure she has a good reason to be late."

Laika nodded, nuzzling the crook of Donna's neck and kissing the pale skin softly, trying to focus her mind on something else other than the fact that something could've happened to her mother on her trip back from America.

It's been two days since Miranda called from an unknown number, saying that she'd bring the vessel soon and leave her in Laika's care for the next couple of weeks.

Ever since then, the maiden has been on edge, checking if she bought everything necessary for the child and making sure the house was properly cleaned and warm enough so the child wouldn't somehow get sick.

Donna was a little worried for her, because she had never seen her lover so anxious about someone's arrival. Occasionally when Miranda would visit, yes Laika would get a bit nervous but also excited to see her mother, however this was different. It was never a baby who they welcomed into their home, and if Donna was being truthful she also felt nervous, but she was certain that Mother Miranda would show them the ropes of caring for such a young child.

Or show just Laika.

Donna wasn't really obliged to help with the child but she obviously wasn't going to let the maiden struggle on her own. Maybe she had no experience, but Donna was willing to learn and help the best she could.

Suddenly, a knock on the door disturbed their comfortable silence, and Laika immediately let go of her lover.

"They're here."

She pressed a quick kiss on Donna's forehead and rushed over to the door to unlock and open them. Donna smoothed down her dress and clasped her hands in front of her stomach, deciding to stay in the living room and wait.

Upon opening the door, Laika's eyes immediately locked on the beautiful woman in front of her, taking in her tired eyes and small smile that adorned her pale face.

"Mother.."

"Hello my little crow."

In her arms, Miranda was carrying a child wrapped up in a couple of soft blankets, her tiny hands the only part of her Laika could see so far.

That's Rose.

That the child Laika will have to take care of.

"Will you let me inside or shall I give her to you on your doorstep?"