4

9:01 pm

I watch the window as I wait for Carson. He hasn't arrived yet. Laney, snap out of it! I don't think him being late by a minute is anything to worry about. Do I actually miss him? It's only been two hours since I've seen him. I feel relief wash over me as I see a blue car pull up with Carson in the driver's seat. I stop myself before opening the door, decide not to and wait for him to knock instead. He knocks on the door and I wait at least five seconds before opening it.

"Hey, Carson!" I greet, my shoulder kneeling on the door frame. 

"Thanks for inviting me to your place, Lanes," he says as he walks into my house.

That nickname, he said it again. I didn't think anyone else would ever call me that again. It reminds me too much of Corey. 

"You're welcome!" I reply, showing him the guest bedroom.

I live by myself, and my house is big enough for four people to live in. I guess living in an apartment was too much for me to handle. Loud neighbours are aggravating. 

I bring him to my recording room, where I record my songs and post them on YouTube. Carson sets his case down, takes out his electric guitar and plugs it into a speaker.

"We need to write some killer lyrics! Maybe we can get viral off of it." Carson suggests. 

Once again, this man reminds me of my childhood friend, and it makes me smile.

"Do you have any ideas?" I ask, and he shakes his head. 

"Nope, but I'm sure we can think of a great song!" 

4:27 am

"At last, we've come up with an amazing song!" Carson exclaims as he backs away from the desk. 

"We'll go viral for sure!" I say. 

We high-five and decide to go to bed.